Date: 14 Sep 87 17:12 EST
From: politi%desdemona.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Re: anyone out there?
To: NeWS-makers-request@brillig.umd.edu

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 87 15:59:06 EDT
From: douglas w politi <politi@desdemona.steinmetz>
Posted-Date: Mon, 14 Sep 87 15:59:06 EDT
To: @CSBVAX.steinmetz:NeWS-makers-request@brillig.umd.edu
Newsgroups: ge.windows

hi,

i saw your posting on the net to see who is doing anything with NeWS. i
was unsure of where you are from ge? usa?

anyway, we are developing some software engineering tools using NeWS.
if you have some specific questions please forward them to me and i will
be more than happy to answer those that i can.

doug.
--

     (	     douglas |  ARPA->      politi@ge-crd.arpa                     )
     (	           w |  UUCP->      seismo!rochester!steinmetz!crd!politi  )

aronson%sungod.tcpip@GE-CRD.ARPA (09/16/87)

Date: Tue, 15 Sep 87 13:16:55 EDT
From: marc aronson <aronson@sungod.steinmetz>

I am currently developing several applications under NeWS, including
a graphical intercace to MAKE and SCCS.  I am sure there are quite
a few horror stories we could exchange.

Our latest thrust has been to create a C-level interface around NeWS
that can be easily re-written in X, so that we can use either window system.
I'm wondering if SUN is really going to follow through on NeWS, or simply
jump on the X band-wagon.

--
Marc Aronson

aronson@ge-crd.arpa -- steinmetz!sungod!aronson

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (10/02/87)

In article <8709151716.AA11134@sungod.steinmetz> aronson%sungod.tcpip@GE-CRD.ARPA writes:

>Our latest thrust has been to create a C-level interface around NeWS
>that can be easily re-written in X, so that we can use either window system.
>I'm wondering if SUN is really going to follow through on NeWS, or simply
>jump on the X band-wagon.

You are wasting most of the potential of NeWS if you reduce to
the level of X . Sun are going to 'jump on the X band-wagon' by
fitting an "X backdoor" in the NeWS server, so that X people
can run their pixel-based stuff and happily co-exist with NeWS.

If you wanted to make it possible to retrofit to X someday,
then write your C routines at a high-level, say

        "interactively select a node in the Make dependency graph",

and implement the routine in PostScript for NeWS. To convert
down to X, just write C routines to call the X primitives in
the right order etc etc.

PS.  Thanks to everyone who has asked for our paper
     "First Impressions of NeWS", which I advertised on this
newsgroup: we have had over 200 requests and our office
staff are trying hard to keep up. We are sending paper copies
by airmail which is cheaper than sending PostScript across the
Atlantic by E-mail, so we do need a FULL POSTAL address.  If
you asked for a copy and don't receive it by next week, you can
try mailing us again (with a postal address please), but say
that you have ALREADY ASKED for a copy so we don't get
confused.
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP