[comp.windows.news] Apollo bashing, NCS, and NeWS

montnaro@sprite.uucp (Skip Montanaro) (02/05/88)

In article <3a15b3ba.c82a@apollo.uucp> ganek@apollo.uucp (Dan Ganek) writes:

>I probably shouldn't do this --  but every once in awhile I get a little
>upset at the Apollo bashing.
>I'm am a physicists by training and as such  believe in the principle
>of causality, i.e the future can't affect the past.
>
>Apollo chose the BEST TECHNOLOGIES OF THE TIME (1980), improved
>many of them (like UNIX). Nobody is perfect. Apollo is the ONLY
>major worksation company left from its era. (What happened to all
>those UNIX based workstation companies of 1980??) Johnny-come-lately's
>(like SUN) will of course take advantage of newer technologies and
>mistakes of predecessors. Apollo did - there's nothing wrong with that.
>I certainly don't complain about SUN learning from our mistakes.

You are absolutely correct about Apollo's position in the early 80's.
You can't fault them for the decisions they made at that time. Another
thing you didn't mention is Apollo's pioneering (commercial) effort in
diskless workstation technology. Sun is still catching up in that
arena, at least regarding system administration. However, I think you
can (and many potential customers probably did) fault them for not
changing their stance about UNIX and ethernet sooner than they did.

On a somewhat brighter note, from what I've seen of NCA/NCS, I think
Apollo has a winner, both technically speaking, and from a marketing
standpoint. Deciding to support it on a variety of competitors'
machines may prove to be what gets it accepted as a de facto standard.

I think Sun should have adopted a similar strategy for NeWS. They've
got a technically very exciting product, they've done a couple
"proof-of-existence" ports, and have licensed NeWS to a number of
folks, but I don't think that any of the companies that have picked it
up will have the impact that Sun might have had if they had announced
a NeWS server early on for VaxStations, Apollos, or MS-DOS (for
instance). Another marketing strategy might have been to team up with
a graphics terminal vendor and announce an ethernet- or RS-232-based
NeWS server terminal when they announced the Sun-4. (Maybe they'll put
out a new set of ROM chips for the 3/50 that will promote it from
third-class diskless workstation to first-class NeWS server. Don't
throw 'em out yet!)

The original subject of this message was "NeWS on non-Sun hardware".
How about a summary (preferably from someone at Sun) about just what
is commercially available now, or has been announced. The client
software is extremely portable, so that's no big deal. What about
servers? If there's nothing really out there yet, let's kill the
discussion on this topic for a couple of months (or until the next new
reader in this newsgroup asks :-).

Skip (montanaro@ge-crd.arpa, uunet!steinmetz!sprite!montanaro)