[comp.windows.news] NeWS on non-Sun hardware?

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (01/08/88)

       I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Steve Jobs NeXT will be
utilizing NeWS or some variant of NeWS in their forthcoming workstation
products.  Anyone have any comments on this and any other hardware platforms
that are jumping on the NeWS bandwagon?  Or is it X or nothing?

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207

siegel@hc.DSPO.GOV (Josh Siegel) (01/09/88)

In article <1970@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:

 >       I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Steve Jobs NeXT will be
 >utilizing NeWS or some variant of NeWS in their forthcoming workstation
 >products.  Anyone have any comments on this and any other hardware platforms
 >that are jumping on the NeWS bandwagon?  Or is it X or nothing?
 >

 >--
 >George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
 >{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207
 >Phone: (813) 530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
 >						Largo, FL  34649-2826

As far as I know, Apollo, Silicon Graphics, and Raster Tech  are just a few
of the people who are jumping on the NeWS band wagon.  Also,
Encore, Allient, and Celerity are some of the companies that
will be supporting the client side at least.

We have been a beta for NeWS 1.1 and have ported the client
library to all these machines as well as to VMS.

--
Josh Siegel		(siegel@hc.dspo.gov)
"laughing at you is like drop kicking a wounded humming bird"

hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) (01/09/88)

In article <1970@pdn.UUCP>, reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>        I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Steve Jobs NeXT will be
> utilizing NeWS or some variant of NeWS in their forthcoming workstation
> products.  Anyone have any comments on this and any other hardware platforms
> that are jumping on the NeWS bandwagon?  Or is it X or nothing?

You can get NeWS on MIPS hardware: Whitechapel Workstations, in the U.K.,
is producing a 10+-MIPS MIPS-R2000-based workstation that runs UMIPS-BSD with
both X and NeWS. I have heard no current word of NeWS-only products, including
from Sun!

--
Craig Hansen
Manager, Architecture Development

greid@adobe.UUCP (01/09/88)

>       I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Steve Jobs NeXT will be
>utilizing NeWS or some variant of NeWS in their forthcoming workstation
>products.  Anyone have any comments on this and any other hardware platforms
>that are jumping on the NeWS bandwagon?  Or is it X or nothing?

NeXT has announced that they will use the Display PostScript system from
Adobe Systems Incorporated.  This is not NeWS, it is PostScript.  Here is
an excerpt from the press release, dated September 9, 1987:

"Adobe Systems Incorporated and NeXT, Inc. have announced the joint
development of a high-performance interactive version of POSTSCRIPT
software technology for use on workstation displays.  Steven P. Jobs,
Chairman and President of NeXT, Inc. made the announcement today during
a speech at the Seybold Desktop Publishing Conference.  The display
version of the POSTSCRIPT software has been under development for 18
months by engineers at both NeXT and Adobe and is called 'Display
POSTSCRIPT' software.

"Display POSTSCRIPT is the first full implementation of the POSTSCRIPT
language with the significant performance enhancements and extensions
necessary to support high-performance interactive displays.  Display
POSTSCRIPT software includes full support for outline fonts, arbitrary
line-widths, rotation, and color.

"Display POSTSCRIPT software is independent of windowing systems and
will be demonstrated by Adobe in the summer of 1988."

---------
Glenn Reid
 Adobe Systems Incorporated
 PostScript Software Support

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (01/09/88)

In article <1256@mips.UUCP>, hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) writes:
> You can get NeWS on MIPS hardware: Whitechapel Workstations, in the U.K.,
> is producing a 10+-MIPS MIPS-R2000-based workstation that runs UMIPS-BSD with
> both X and NeWS. I have heard no current word of NeWS-only products, including
> from Sun!
>
> --
> Craig Hansen
> Manager, Architecture Development
> MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.

You can also get NeWS on MIPS hardware from Silicon Graphics.  The next
software release for the Iris 4-D family includes a NeWS-based window
system to replace mex.

The new Silicon Graphics release includes a version of X11 that runs
alongside NeWS with the NeWS window manager being in control.

Whitechapel offers a choice of window system in the price of their product,
which is called the Hitech 10.  The choices are NeWS or X.

Both products have good fast ports of NeWS.  They are both based on
NeWS R1.0 because the timing for R1.1 wasn't quite right.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@sgi.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl,sun}!sgi!msc

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/10/88)

In article <8801082123.AA11634@ondine.LOCAL> greid@adobe.UUCP writes:
> NeXT has announced that they will use the Display PostScript system from
> Adobe Systems Incorporated.  This is not NeWS, it is PostScript.

Arrrggghhh!

Just what we need.  Yet Another Standard.  Can somebody please take the
people from Adobe, Sun, and NeXT, put them in a room, and not let them out
until they agree to all do the same thing.  It's 33's vs. 45's all over
again.  Or is that 8-tracks vs. cassettes?  Beta vs. VHS?  RCA vs. Philips
(video disks)?  Kahn vs. Motorolla (AM stereo)?  Sys5 vs. 4.N?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (01/10/88)

> "Display POSTSCRIPT software is independent of windowing systems and
> will be demonstrated by Adobe in the summer of 1988."

So what window system will NeXT be running Display PostScript atop?

(And yes, from what I've heard, I'll agree that Display PostScript is not NeWS;
NeWS currently implements what could probably be called a subset of PostScript
with extensions - the extensions permit PostScript code to manage input as well
as render images on the screen.  I don't know whether Display PostScript
handles input as well as output, but I suspect it doesn't.

At some point, I presume we intend to finish implementing those parts of
PostScript not already implemented in NeWS, as well, making the PostScript
implemented by NeWS a proper superset of what is described in the Red Book.  I
don't work in the NeWS group, so for all I know this may already have been
done.

If there are cases where the NeWS interpreter does not properly implement
something as per the Red Book, as opposed to not implementing it at all yet,
that's probably a bug.)
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com

hans@sics.se (Hans Eriksson) (01/12/88)

Isn't there anyone who does a NeWS port for the Mac's? I have heard about
one company but has forgotten their name. Anyone else who knows?

/hans

--
Hans Eriksson
Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Box 1263, S-163 13  SPANGA, Sweden

mday@cgl.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (01/16/88)

In article <8801082123.AA11634@ondine.LOCAL> greid@adobe.UUCP writes:

>"Display POSTSCRIPT software is independent of windowing systems and
>will be demonstrated by Adobe in the summer of 1988."

Actually, There is a demo of Display Postscript going on as I am typing.  In
the Adobe both at MacWorld Expo, Display Postscript is running on a Mac II,
Sun 3/50, an IBM RT and a couple other workstations that escape my mind.  The
Adobe representative went to great lengths to explain to me that NeWS programs
may not run on Display POSTSCRIPT because NeWS doesn't completely follow the
PostScript standard.

*SIGH*  it is bad enough to have to write programs for a variety of windowing
(or display) systems.  But to have multiple standards for PostScript display
systems is ridiculous.

----------
		Mark Day
UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		mday@ucsfcgl.BITNET

mday@cgl.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (01/16/88)

According to the Jan. 11 edition of Macintosh Today, EXP, a division of Wedge
Inc. of Campbridge Mass., is developing NeWS for the Mac II.
----------
		Mark Day
UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		mday@ucsfcgl.BITNET

pablo@polygen.uucp (Pablo Halpern) (01/16/88)

In article <1676@sics.se> hans@sics.UUCP (Hans Eriksson) writes:

>Isn't there anyone who does a NeWS port for the Mac's? I have heard about
>one company but has forgotten their name. Anyone else who knows?
>
>/hans
>
>--
>Hans Eriksson
>Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Box 1263, S-163 13  SPANGA, Sweden
>Tel: +46 8 750 79 70	Ttx: 812 61 54 SICS S	Fax: +46 8 751 72 30
>UUCP:	hans@sics.UUCP or {seismo,mcvax}!enea!sics!hans	EAN: hans@sics.sunet

In article <1676@sics.se> hans@sics.UUCP (Hans Eriksson) writes:

>Isn't there anyone who does a NeWS port for the Mac's? I have heard about
>one company but has forgotten their name. Anyone else who knows?

eXP Inc, from Cambridge, Mass WAS doing a NeWS (server) port for the Mac.
Unfortunately, they went bankrupt.  I don't know what the disposition
of the existing code will be, but I'll bet it will just die.  Too bad!

As to the larger question of NeWS on non-Sun hardware: I just returned
from an X-windows conference at MIT.  An engineer from Sun gave a talk on
how Sun is merging the NeWS and X servers.  As an aside, she mentioned
that Sun and ATT are putting the merged product into the code
that you get with a Unix source license.  Unless I'm mistaken, that
means that most Unix workstations will eventually support both NeWS and
X.  I've got to hand it to Sun (and, grudgingly, to ATT), they may
actually win the battle to unify Unix and, although I don't think
they'll beat X, they might not get beaten by X, either.  After all,
"if you can't beat them, merge them!"  Words to hack by.

Pablo Halpern
Polygen Corp.

velu@agent99.UUCP (Velu Sinha) (01/20/88)

>Date: Mon, 18 Jan 88 00:21:28 EST
>To: NeWS-makers@brillig.umd.edu
>Subject: Re: NeWS on non-Sun hardware?
>From:   (Pablo Halpern)

>In article <1676@sics.se> hans@sics.UUCP (Hans Eriksson) writes:
>>
>>Isn't there anyone who does a NeWS port for the Mac's? I have heard about
>>one company but has forgotten their name. Anyone else who knows?
>>

>eXP Inc, from Cambridge, Mass WAS doing a NeWS (server) port for the Mac.
>Unfortunately, they went bankrupt.  I don't know what the disposition
>of the existing code will be, but I'll bet it will just die.  Too bad!

>Pablo Halpern
>Polygen Corp.

I'd like to clarify that status of eXP, Wedge, and Papaya (the code name of
our Mac based NeWS server)...

eXP has NOT gone bankrupt.  eXP is now a subsidiary of Wedge Computer,
and is in the process of preparing the Macintosh NeWS server for
market.  Wedge Computer / eXP are in the process of moving offices, and thus
it has been difficult for people to get a hold of us over the past few
weeks.  We should be fully settled by the end of January, and at that
point the new address and phone number will be posted.

A pre-Beta copy of NeWS is available from Wedge presently.  The
pre-beta package consists of six disks and some very terse
instructions.

We have not yet set a firm date for beta and product release as we are
awaiting schedules from Sun regarding their NeWS 1.1 source release.
It has been our intent to not finalize the 1.0 rev of NeWS for the
Macintosh until the Sun 1.1 stuff can be incorporated.

For more information, please contact John Fearnside at Wedge: (617)
868-5454 ... you are likely to get an answering service for the next
week, but please bear with us. John should be back to you within 24
hours.

Thank you.

Velu Sinha
Wedge Computer

andrew%mcvax@isdg.cs.hull.ac.UK (Andrew Stewart) (01/20/88)

>The Adobe representative went to great lengths to explain to me that NeWS
>programs may not run on Display POSTSCRIPT because NeWS doesn't completely
>follow the PostScript standard.

I would recommend sticking with NeWS for the moment - Adobe's licencing
policies are fairly expensive, and it's only a matter of time before
someone manages to build a font model that is as good as Adobe's.
I doubt whether Adobe will ever release the source to display PostScript,
which gives NeWS an immediate edge as far as I'm concerned - it's one thing
waiting for Adobe to port PostScript to a new marking engine, but display
technology is evolving too rapidly to wait for one company.

I agree, it's very irritating to have Adobe sticking their oar in in such
an unproductive/unhelpful manner. (A minor flame - my apologies.)

Andrew Stewart
----
Andrew Stewart, Interactive Systems Design Group, University of Hull, Hull, UK
ARPA:   andrew%hu-isd.uucp@ukc.ac.uk OR andrew@isdg.cs.hull.ac.uk

randy@ncifcrf.ncifcrf.gov (The Computer Grue) (01/22/88)

In article <10637@cgl.ucsf.EDU> mday@socrates.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Mark Day) writes:

> The Adobe representative went to great lengths to explain to me that
> NeWS programs may not run on Display POSTSCRIPT because NeWS doesn't
> completely follow the PostScript standard.

>	----------
>			Mark Day
>	UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
>	ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu
>	BITNET:		mday@ucsfcgl.BITNET

    It is my understanding (I would appreciate the correction if I am
  wrong) that Sun strongly intends to bring NeWS up to being a full
  superset of postscript (I think it's one of their first priorities).
  This leaves the Adobe rep. sounding a little foolish.

					-- Randy Smith

--
  Randy Smith    @	NCI Supercomputer Facility
  c/o PRI, Inc.		Phone: (301) 698-5660

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (01/27/88)

In article <250@ncifcrf.ncifcrf.gov>, randy@ncifcrf.ncifcrf.gov (The Computer Grue) writes:
> In article <10637@cgl.ucsf.EDU> mday@socrates.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Mark Day) writes:
>
> > The Adobe representative went to great lengths to explain to me that
> > NeWS programs may not run on Display POSTSCRIPT because NeWS doesn't
> > completely follow the PostScript standard.
>
>     It is my understanding (I would appreciate the correction if I am
>   wrong) that Sun strongly intends to bring NeWS up to being a full
>   superset of postscript (I think it's one of their first priorities).
>   This leaves the Adobe rep. sounding a little foolish.
>
> 					-- Randy Smith

The Adobe rep is right but his reason is wrong.  NeWS programs will typically
be full fledged applications using the input and canvas extensions of NeWS
to handle interaction with the user.  DisplayPostScript is output only and
doesn't even have any similar extensions.

However a PostScript described page will display equally well under
DisplayPostScript or using psview under NeWS.  Sun does follow the
PostScript standard (as of NeWS release 1.1).
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow

dawson@apollo.uucp (Keith Dawson) (02/02/88)

In a recent article siegel@hc.dspo.gov (Josh Siegel) writes:

 > In article <1970@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:

 >>        I seem to remember hearing somewhere that Steve Jobs NeXT will be
 >> utilizing NeWS or some variant of NeWS in their forthcoming workstation
 >> products.  Anyone have any comments on this and any other hardware
 >> platforms that are jumping on the NeWS bandwagon? Or is it X or nothing?

 > As far as I know, Apollo, Silicon Graphics, and Raster Tech  are just a few
 > of the people who are jumping on the NeWS band wagon.  Also,
 > Encore, Allient, and Celerity are some of the companies that
 > will be supporting the client side at least.

Apollo currently has no plans to support the NeWS product. Apollo's window
strategy is based on the X Window System.

Apollo's Open Dialogue UIMS, along with other recent developments such as
Adobe's Display PostScript product, address the issues of user interface
development and PostScript capabilities under X in a manner we feel to be
superior to NeWS. Another advantage is that X is a public-domain window
system, making it accessable to the entire industry.

Most important of all it the fact that the marketplace has chosen X as the
industry standard window system.

    Ross Chapman, Apollo Computer
    !decvax!apollo!chapman_r

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (02/03/88)

In article <3a06a194.c32@apollo.uucp>, dawson@apollo.uucp (Keith Dawson) writes:
> Apollo currently has no plans to support the NeWS product. Apollo's window
> strategy is based on the X Window System.
>
> Apollo's Open Dialogue UIMS, along with other recent developments such as
I use Domain Dialogue and it is a decent product but most people I talk to
(myself included) prefer a decent user interface library (such as the one
found in SunView environment).

> Adobe's Display PostScript product, address the issues of user interface
> development and PostScript capabilities under X in a manner we feel to be
> superior to NeWS. Another advantage is that X is a public-domain window
> system, making it accessable to the entire industry.
>
> Most important of all it the fact that the marketplace has chosen X as the
> industry standard window system.
That's is highly debatable...and is being debated in newsgroups on
the net comp.windows.misc & comp.misc.  Again some have indicated that
if it is an industry standard it may may be of short duration.

>     Ross Chapman, Apollo Computer
>     !decvax!apollo!chapman_r
*FLAME ON*
Its hard for me too take all this to seriously...how many years have we
we heard that a decent version of Unix would be forthcoming
to the Apollo any day soon (i'm still waiting).

Its nice to see you people at Apollo suddenly discovering standards...
Your history somehow speaks differently :
while Sun chose CGI (a standard you see on PC and other machines)
as their primitives libraries you people chose your creation GPR with
ungodly function call names.

while Sun chose Ethernet you people chose a proprietary domain ring
(oh yes - Apollo has suddenly discovered Ethernet too - tho' it has
all sorts of flaws - tune in on comp.sys.apollo sometime)

while Sun chose Unix you people had already rejected that for your
own creation - Aegis.  (Ever see what happens to Aegis and Unix live
together - any attempt at keeping file permissions straight dies.
You learn to live in an environment where people can't do somethings
in Unix and pop an Aegis shell and do it in that shell (and vice-versa).

oh yes..when you finally found Unix...people wondered if your
implementation was an advertisement for Aegis.
Permissions are only the tip of the iceberg...
*FLAME OFF*

Now you know why i recently bought a Sun.   :)
It certainly wasn't out of ignorance.

By the way, on my Sun I will be able to have three windowing systems
at once ... NeWS and X and SunView ...at least till SunView II
appears (it will apparently sit on NeWS/X).

The opinions expressed are my own and are certainly not those of the Boeing
Company. They reflect my reflections, tribulations, notions, etc.

ganek@apollo.uucp (Dan Ganek) (02/05/88)

I probably shouldn't do this --  but every once in awhile I get a little
upset at the Apollo bashing.

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel @ Boeing Aerospace Corp., Seattle WA)
writes:

> *FLAME ON*
> Its hard for me too take all this to seriously...how many years have we
> we heard that a decent version of Unix would be forthcoming
> to the Apollo any day soon (i'm still waiting).
>
> Its nice to see you people at Apollo suddenly discovering standards...
> Your history somehow speaks differently :
> while Sun chose CGI (a standard you see on PC and other machines)
> as their primitives libraries you people chose your creation GPR with
> ungodly function call names.
>
> while Sun chose Ethernet you people chose a proprietary domain ring
> (oh yes - Apollo has suddenly discovered Ethernet too - tho' it has
> all sorts of flaws - tune in on comp.sys.apollo sometime)
>
> while Sun chose Unix you people had already rejected that for your
> own creation - Aegis.  (Ever see what happens to Aegis and Unix live
> together - any attempt at keeping file permissions straight dies.
> You learn to live in an environment where people can't do somethings
> in Unix and pop an Aegis shell and do it in that shell (and vice-versa).
>
> oh yes..when you finally found Unix...people wondered if your
> implementation was an advertisement for Aegis.
> Permissions are only the tip of the iceberg...
> *FLAME OFF*

**FLAME OFF** (for now)

I'm am a physicists by training and as such  believe in the principle
of causality, i.e the future can't affect the past.

Some facts (or approximations thereof):
1) Apollo was founded in Feb, 1980
2) Apollo shipped its first workstation and window system in March, 1981.
3) Neither CGI, Sun, nor the PC market existed in 1980.
4) Ethernet was not a (de facto) standard in 1980.
5) UNIX was barely out of the university in 1980 and had
   little in the way of modern OS facilities. (still doesn't)

Apollo chose the BEST TECHNOLOGIES OF THE TIME (1980), improved
many of them (like UNIX). Nobody is perfect. Apollo is the ONLY
major worksation company left from its era. (What happened to all
those UNIX based workstation companies of 1980??) Johnny-come-lately's
(like SUN) will of course take advantage of newer technologies and
mistakes of predecessors. Apollo did - there's nothing wrong with that.
I certainly don't complain about SUN learning from our mistakes.

**FLAME ON**

   ANYONE CAN BE A MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK!

**FLAME OFF**

So, please give credit were credit is due and check your chronology!

Standards are a very tricking business.  It's a big gamble
because standards represent the 'status quo' which is basicaly
incompatible with 'state-of-the-art'. A high-tech company has
to constantly make a descisions about standards:

1) go with a standard and hope that something better DOESN'T
   become a standard
2) go with the new and bet that IT will become the standard.

Apollo has done well in this arena - but not perfectly. We created
and dominated the technical workstation market - we misjudged some
things - we learn from our mistakes. We have and will modify our
products and architectures to meet the demands of the future. Right
now SUN APPEARS to be doing some things right  - maybe they are and maybe
they aren't - only time will tell.  Oops -- this is sounding too much
like an excuse.  I'll stop now.

/dan ganek

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (02/05/88)

In article <3a15b3ba.c82a@apollo.uucp>, ganek@apollo.uucp (Dan Ganek) writes:

> I probably shouldn't do this --  but every once in awhile I get a little
> upset at the Apollo bashing.

It had very little to do with Apollo bashing.  Actually you are
making the very same case I made.  (You have 60 seconds to figure
out what that case was ?..tick tick...)

> Some facts (or approximations thereof):
> 1) Apollo was founded in Feb, 1980
> 2) Apollo shipped its first workstation and window system in March, 1981.
> 3) Neither CGI, Sun, nor the PC market existed in 1980.
> 4) Ethernet was not a (de facto) standard in 1980.

(that case was...)

You are making a good case that your machines have evolved little
since 1980 and I agree.  The difference between then and now is
you currently offer a kludgy dysfunctional form of Unix emulation
and flawed tcp/ip ethernet connectivity. (9.7 is even worse than
9.6 with respect to tcp/ip).

> 5) UNIX was barely out of the university in 1980 and had
>    little in the way of modern OS facilities. (still doesn't)

Unix existed and was being licensed by AT&T at a reduced single-
user cost (the year of the user license markdown was '79).
I couldn't help noticing the Adus announcement that Aegis development
had stopped despite its "modern OS facilities" and that Apollo was
concentrating on Unix etc ...

> Apollo chose the BEST TECHNOLOGIES OF THE TIME (1980), improved
> many of them (like UNIX).

matter of opinion.  (like your 'acl' command which if handled wrong
can destroy you hard disk?? The net toll on that was 2...though I
suspect it is much higher. :) That one was in version 9.5 which
you released in mid-1987! )  From my view Unix has rolled on
past Aegis.  Its a dead issue.

> 1) go with a standard and hope that something better DOESN'T
>    become a standard
If someone comes out with a better standard then it makes some sense
to offer that standard...Note for example, unlike Apollo, Sun
offers NeWS *and* X.

> 2) go with the new and bet that IT will become the standard.
How *could* Aegis, domain ring technology, GPR, etc become a
standard.  These things were all proprietary technology from
Apollo.  Notice that Sun is licensing NeWS, SunOS, SPARC etc.
Let's face it Apollo was dragged kicking and screaming (by
the marketplace) into at least coining the phrase "open systems."

But enough of this.  Back to NeWS.