[comp.windows.news] X and the future

mo@maximo.UUCP (Mike O'Dell) (02/05/88)

The astonishing baroqueness of X is the greatest threat
to the general sucess of UNIX to have come along since
System V hit the streets.  If you try to give an X
system to a real human being, not a computer hacker
masquerading as a normal person, they will croak.
If X doesn't instantly burn out their eyes and brain,
causing them to throw their UNIX box out the nearest
high window, it will drive them straight into the
arms of the Macintosh II.  With the toolbox under
AUX, all the windowy programs on the MacII will have a
clear, understable, and universal user interface.
With other alternatives, we face the very real prospect
of each window (program) having a different user
interface. That, friends, will be the death of UNIX.

	The Ol' Curmudgeon
	-Mike O'Dell

"Nature neither seeks nor abides opinions."

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (02/06/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.4 of Mon Mar 23 1987 on bu-cs (berkeley-unix)

>The astonishing baroqueness of X is the greatest threat
>to the general sucess of UNIX to have come along since
>System V hit the streets.  If you try to give an X
>system to a real human being, not a computer hacker
>masquerading as a normal person, they will croak.
>	The Ol' Curmudgeon
>	-Mike O'Dell

Although Mike is not that old I tend to otherwise agree with him.

The problem I see right now is that the "truisms" run something like
this:

	1. X is a protocol definition, the code people are looking
	at right now is a particular implementation of that protocol,
	the two thoughts should not be confused.

	2. The ToolKits will fix the programmer's interface complexity.

	3. No, well, actually, the Toolkits will not fix that problem,
	some sort of as yet unspecified 12th generation point and click
	programming interface will fix the problem (this was after it
	seemed to be generally agreed that less than 5 people in America
	can understand the Toolkit supplied, and they're arguing amongst
	themselves about whether or not it can ever work, and besides, it
	only handles a small subset of X anyhow and is too complicated.
	And worse, although it's implemented in C for C programmers it was
	never intended to be, they were forced to by someone, it should
	have been implemented in some as yet unspecified language which
	would solve *everything* according to the designers.)

Somewhere in here I sense a wheel of reincarnation. If it's only a
protocol and we should ignore (well, only if we don't like it) the
current implementations of those protocols then I suppose we better
not program anything as our code is doomed to obsolescence right after
the next major semester break at MIT.

If we shouldn't be coding at the level of XLIB and be using Toolkits
instead as they provide the abstract interface we all desire then how
come people privy seem to agree that the supplied toolkit is basically
incomprehensible and should be, we should be waiting for something
else? It's all starting to sound like Nixon's Secret Plan to end the
Vietnam War (I suppose that metaphor reveals me to be as old as Mike.)

The wheel of reincarnation reference is that if someone comes along
with a toolkit which is useful then the first thing we should do is
declare that to be X and throw away anything "below" it other than the
protocol. If it can't do that then it's a pretty poor toolkit (not
powerful enough or something.) Of course, then we will ask, why wasn't
that approach taken in the first place? Well, I suppose one can say,
because hindsight is 20/20. The road to hell is paved with myopia.

Disclaimer: I sort of like X11, I use it as my primary window manager
on my Sun, have ported the client interface to an Encore Multimax.
Clients I have written are "out there" (mostly X10.) I recently wrote
an X11 plot interface to DOE MacSyma which should appear on their next
release tape and am involved with various groups' alpha and
beta-testing new clients and I am working on some of my own.

What I like about X is that it is available in a form which basically
works (I'm not sure I can say the same for the competition yet) and is
available under a very agreeable source release. Unfortunately there
may be fundamental flaws in the model (eg. moving to different res or
other variation devices seems to be very painful, again, that may not
be the protocol but the implementation, as the NewSpeak goes.)

I suppose one might say that right now there is nothing approaching a
standard window system for Unix. NeWS might be a competitor some day
although it may have fundamental flaws also (not so much in the
windowing model which is very good but in the implementation
approach.)

Basically, X and NeWS seem to form the right and left brain halves of
windowing systems. X is basic, fast (or should be) and analytical,
NeWS seems to be what you should be using if you want something more
creative than boxes with chars and/or line drawings in them of a
fairly fixed nature. Right now people seem to be responding to each on
that atavistic level.

X is a jeep wagoneer with all options including a tow ball if you
can't fit it inside the cab, NeWS is a DeLorean turning magnificently
on a stand in the main lobby of the Museum of Modern Art, the engine
comes in kit form, diesel, gasoline, ethanol, any number of cylinders
all available, actually the kit is just a big cube of steel, very high
grade, and a textbook on modern engine design.

The X11/NeWS merge might very well end up to be the "long-awaited"
station wagon version of the DeLorean, with the jeep hanging off the
back on a newly attached brushed stainless steel tow ball, just in
case.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

gilbert@hci.hw.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (02/12/88)

In article <8802032048.AA12237@uunet.UU.NET> mo@maximo.UUCP (Mike O'Dell) writes:
>The astonishing baroqueness of X is the greatest threat
>to the general sucess of UNIX to have come along since   ...
There is still hope for a decent X tool-kit.  Why can't the MITechies
look at the development of Star and the Macintosh?  Two sets of skills
played a major role in their attractiveness: human factors evaluation
and graphic design.  The latter may be more responsible for the
attractiveness of the Mac than anything else - after all once you
start using a Mac, you realise that the HF evaluation wasn't always
too searching.  Yet the Mac attracts users who run miles from real
computers :-) - SunView, GEM, AMIGA toolkit and MSWindows don't seem to have
been anywhere near a graphic designer either.

So why don't MIT put a little of that SciFi research money into designing
a toolbox *PROPERLY*?
--
Gilbert Cockton, Scottish HCI Centre, Heriot-Watt University, Chambers St.,
Edinburgh, EH1 1HX.  JANET:  gilbert@uk.ac.hw.hci