[comp.windows.news] Persistent Canvases

mcgregor@NCIFCRF.GOV (02/12/88)

I have a beginng NeWS user question:

	I am running Suntools' Mailtool.  I click on the 'done' button.
	The Mailtool icon appears at the upper left corner.  The Mailtool
	canvas (or is it still a window even under NeWS) persists, but is
	non-functional.  Is there a reasonably simple explanation for this?

The details of the situation are as follows:
	1. I am working on a SUN 3/50 diskless node.
	2. We are using Version 1.0 of NeWS.
	3. I have a "console" canvas which I invoked from the
	   walking menu that is activated by the Right Button
	   Action on the background region.  This canvas is
	   obscurred by the Mailtool canvas.
	4. To correct this problem I click on the icon, wait for
	   Mailtool to "settle down" then click on the 'done'
	   button or 'close' via the title bar menu.

There are some rather bizarre warpings of the cursor and widespread effects, that
are rather tough to describe, associated with this phenomena.  If anyone is
interested I can try to desribe them later, but I am not sure its necessary
for my question here.

Thank you for the help.

  George McGregor    @	NCI Supercomputer Facility
  c/o PRI, Inc.		Phone: (301) 698-5789
  PO Box B, Bldng. 430  Uucp: ...!uunet!mimsy!elsie!ncifcrf!mcgregor
  Frederick, MD 21701	Arpa: mcgregor@ncifcrf.gov

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (02/13/88)

In article <8802111706.AA18085@fcs50a.ncifcrf.gov> mcgregor@NCIFCRF.GOV writes:

>I have a beginng NeWS user question:
>
>	I am running Suntools' Mailtool.  I click on the 'done' button.
>	The Mailtool icon appears at the upper left corner.  The Mailtool
>	canvas (or is it still a window even under NeWS) persists, but is
>	non-functional.  Is there a reasonably simple explanation for this?

Remember that mailtool is a SunView program written for the SunView
environment (suntools, etc.).  Sun was careful to make these work under
NeWS, but there are some differences between NeWS and SunView window
management.  These mainly show up in event handling, such as repainting
(your problem) and mouse following (hence the DMZ around SunView
windows).  All these problems are documented in the NeWS manual.  Your
problem is that the NeWS background (under the mailtool) is not
repainted when you close the mailtool.  If you wish, you can manually
repaint, choosing the function from the NeWS root menu.

Ken