[comp.windows.news] NeWS shipping dates

hbs@LL-SST.ARPA (Hayden Schultz) (02/12/88)

In article <10683@cgl.ucsf.EDU> mday@socrates.ucsf.edu.UUCP (Mark Day) writes:
>At the recent Sun User's Group meeting, Sun claimed that all Beta testing
>was done, and the new version of NeWs would ship in mid-January.  Does
>anyone at Sun, or any of the beta test sites have a revised estimate for
>its ship date?

After the SUG Conference in mid December, I attended Sun's NeWS programming
course. The machines in the lab were using NeWS 1.1, not 1.1 Beta. So 1.1 is
out there somewhere.

Has anyone heard tentative shipping dates for Sunview under NeWS or the
NeWS/X.11 merged product? I'd hate to order NeWS 1.1 and receive it around
the same time newer NeWS products are released.

	Hayden (hbs@ll-sst.arpa)

gerolima@FORD-WDL1.ARPA (Mark Gerolimatos) (02/12/88)

>Has anyone heard tentative shipping dates for Sunview under NeWS or the
>NeWS/X.11 merged product? I'd hate to order NeWS 1.1 and receive it around
>the same time newer NeWS products are released.

Okay, everybody, all together, now....

				IT'S IN 4.0

	"For over a quarter of a century..."

	Mark Gerolimatos

ARPA:	gerolima@ford-wdl1.arpa   	"Let's take our neighbor for a ride!
UUCP:	{sun,fortune}!wdl1!gerolima	 Would  you like to go for a ride!?"
AT&T:	(415) 852-4105			   "Uuhhhh...no thanks."
USPS:	c/o Ford Aerospace		"No what?" "No, I wouldn't like to go."
	3939 Fabian Way			"Go Where!?" "Uuhh...for a ride..."
	Palo Alto CA 94303		"A RIDE! Now that's a good idea!"
	Mail Stop X20			  -Frank and a friend, from Blue Velvet

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (02/13/88)

In article <8802120706.AA17697@FORD-WDL1.ARPA>, gerolima@FORD-WDL1.ARPA (Mark Gerolimatos) writes:
> >Has anyone heard tentative shipping dates for Sunview under NeWS or the
> >NeWS/X.11 merged product? I'd hate to order NeWS 1.1 and receive it around
> >the same time newer NeWS products are released.
> Okay, everybody, all together, now....
>

> 				IT'S IN 4.0

Well you may be right but I got a different answers.

4.0 is suppose to be released (i believe) in april.
4.0 supports the Base Level of the System V Interface Definition.
tho' the new Sun 4/110 was announced as sporting 4.0. So
maybe their are different times between the 68020 and
Sparc versions of 4.0 ?

What I understood is that NeWS/X11 is not tied to the 4.0
release.

4.0 supports the Base Level of the System V Interface Definition
with the following exceptions:

Any one else ? Sun ?

chrstnsn@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/15/88)

 With regard to the NeWS/X.11 and Sun 4.0 release, I have the following
information from our SUN reps as of two days ago.

NeWS 1.1 is now about to be shipped and may already be shipping. (I have
had a beta 1.1 for a couple of months now.)  It is not tied to the release
of 4.0 which is likely in late Spring.

The merged NeWS/X.11 product will be bundled with the release 4.1 in the
fall.

The current 4/110 which I was playing with last week appeared to be
running the sparc 3.2 release of the operating system the same as
my 4/260.

I do not believe that X.11 will be released as a separate product.  So
that will have to come from MIT or by waiting for the merged product
in 4.1.

The new Sunview 2.0 will run on top of the merged product.

If I have any of this incorrect it is not the fault of my SUN reps
since they were clear about things as they understand them at this
time.  I welcome corrections to this from SUN.

Steve Christensen
NCSA, Illinois
steve@spock.ncsa.uiuc.edu

jqj@uoregon.UUCP (JQ Johnson) (02/15/88)

In a recent SUN handout entitled "Sun's X11/NeWS" (looks like Dec. 87)
the target delivery date is given as July 1988 in an unbundled product.
I do not believe that the merged system will be part of SunOS 4.0.

A related question:  one of the fallouts of the SUN/AT&T agreement
has been that SUN people have been bragging that NeWS and other
components of the Sun environment will be available to anyone with
an AT&T source license.  I find the licensing restrictions that
AT&T imposes unpalatable.  Should I conclude that therefore the
SUN/AT&T cooperation will imply that I will *not* be able to get
future versions of NeWS?

schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Scott E. Schwartz) (02/15/88)

In article <1673@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>What I understood is that NeWS/X11 is not tied to the 4.0
>release.

A few days ago someone from sun told me that they hope to ship NeWS with
4.0, but it might not be ready in time (in which case 4.0 will ship
without it.)

-- Scott Schwartz            schwartz@gondor.cs.psu.edu

rscott@como.lake.eta.com (Rich Scott) (02/19/88)

In article <68200001@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> chrstnsn@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> With regard to the NeWS/X.11 and Sun 4.0 release, I have the following
>information from our SUN reps as of two days ago.
>
>NeWS 1.1 is now about to be shipped and may already be shipping. (I have
>had a beta 1.1 for a couple of months now.)  It is not tied to the release
>of 4.0 which is likely in late Spring.

	I ordered NeWS 1.1 (media + manuals for $100) back in the first
week of January; I called my local Sun rep. yesterday, and he told me
that my copy will ship on February 26, so I can expect it by the end of
this month.
	I've no idea how long it would take if one put in an order for it
now.

---
	Rich Scott	  uucp	:  {rutgers,amdahl,ihnp4}!meccts!eta!rscott
	ETA Systems	  domain:  rscott@eta.eta.com
	Saint Paul, MN	  arpa  :  eta!rscott@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
 	    "Heck-a-slammin'"  - S. Easton/P.R. Nelson