[comp.windows.news] NeWS on a mac?

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (03/03/88)

I hear that you can run NeWS on a Mac under the MacOS Finder.

What can you do with NeWS on a Mac besides using it as a NeWS Server
and connecting to another machine?

I mean, can you develop NeWS software on a stand-alone Mac?

I don't understand how this can be done with an operating system
without true multitasking.

As I see it, the NeWS server is running on a Mac waiting
for a request. But since it is the only process, it must wait for an
event from a serial port or network before it initiates anything.

Maybe you can send commands to the server using psh, but how can you
edit a file or program and test it without using another computer?

Am I missing something? Or is NeWS on the MacOS useless in a
stand-alone environment?
--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (03/04/88)

In article <4000@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> barnett@steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:
>I mean, can you develop NeWS software on a stand-alone Mac?
>
>I don't understand how this can be done with an operating system
>without true multitasking.

One can develop a certain class of NeWS software on a standalone Mac:
that class of applications that runs in the NeWS server as its own
lightweight PostScript process with any necessary scheduling handled
by the NeWS server.  This is how NeWS "desk accessory" applications
like calcul, puzzle, itemdemo, rotate, spirograph, world, and friends
work.

Note that window systems like X can support none of this class of
applications.  All X applications really, truly do require their own
address spaces on some machine somewhere; whether on the same machine
where the server runs, or on some other host across an inter-process
communication channel of some sort.
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!cbosgd!osu-cis!bob

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (03/08/88)

In article <7661@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
|One can develop a certain class of NeWS software on a standalone Mac:
|that class of applications that runs in the NeWS server as its own
|lightweight PostScript process with any necessary scheduling handled
|by the NeWS server.  This is how NeWS "desk accessory" applications
|like calcul, puzzle, itemdemo, rotate, spirograph, world, and friends
|work.

How can you develop these applications? Do you have a lite-weight
editor that runs under NeWS? (Actually sounds like the great idea).