[comp.windows.news] currentfile does not work

csw@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Warth) (03/31/88)

Running NeWS version 1.1.

    Adobe specifies that `currentfile' "returns the file object from
which the PostScript interpreter is currently or was most recently
reading program input" (Red book, pg.  144).  Yet this does not seem
to work for psh or psview.

    Most commonly this seems to be used to read large bitmaps for the
image operator.  In fact, it seems one of the only ways the read
images that are larger than about 65000 bytes, the maximum length of a
string.  There are workarounds, I think, for this particular
application, but it would sure be nice to be able to run normal
postscript programs without hacking the code so much.

    Is this a bug that I should report or is there some reason this
cannot work in NeWS?  In the mean time, does anyone have a nice way to
handle bitmaps that are larger than 65000 bytes?

Chris Warth
ATT Ball Laboratories
Murray Hill NJ
ulysses!csw
--

sjs@spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) (04/01/88)

In article <10204@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>
csw@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Warth) writes:

> Running NeWS version 1.1.
>
>     Adobe specifies that `currentfile' "returns the file object from
> which the PostScript interpreter is currently or was most recently
> reading program input" (Red book, pg.  144).  Yet this does not seem
> to work for psh or psview.

I still don't have 1.1, but in 1.0, currentfile does indeed work.
It cannot work with the distributed psview, however, because psview
wraps your input inside of an enveloping PostScript program.
With a bit of work, you can modify psview to read the file directly.
This has the added advantage that you can do semi-interactive
PostScript hacking: just modify the input file and invoke redraw.
(You might also do something ugly like change the close gizmo into a
redraw gizmo.)

For extra credit, modify psview to maintain an 8.5 X 11 aspect ratio
when resized.

Stan Switzer  sjs@ctt.bellcore.com