[comp.windows.news] NeWS on the Mac II?

spe@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU (Sean Engelson) (04/25/88)

I've heard rumours about an implementation of NeWS for the Mac II.
Does anyone know anything about this beast?  To wit:
	Does it require A/UX?
	Is it reasonably efficient?
	Is there a MacApp like package of classes for it?
	How does it interface with Lisp (Coral or MacScheme)?
	Where can I get it?

Answers to any or all of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
		-Sean Engelson-
		Computer Science Department
		Carnegie-Mellon University

--
Sean Philip Engelson			I have no opinions.
Carnegie-Mellon University		Therefore my employer is mine.

vita@macbeth.steinmetz (Mark F. Vita) (04/29/88)

In article <1512@pt.cs.cmu.edu> spe@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Sean Engelson) writes:
>I've heard rumours about an implementation of NeWS for the Mac II.
>Does anyone know anything about this beast?  To wit:
>	Does it require A/UX?

I have a beta version of MacNeWS for the Macintosh II, from Wedge
Computer.  It's an implementation of the server side of NeWS 1.0 and
runs under the Mac OS.  There is also a NeWS for the Mac II from
Grasshopper Group which runs under A/UX.  I believe there is a third
implementation in the works, for the Mac OS, but the name of the
company escapes me at the moment.

>	Is it reasonably efficient?

Ah, well, first a few caveats.  This is beta software -- "engineering
release 0.95".  There are several NeWS operators which are missing.
Also, naturally, there are a fair number of bugs.

The current version supports only serial communication.  You need to
get a Sun and a Mac II in close proximity and run a serial cable
between them.  There is a component of the software which runs on the
Sun and handles the serial communication between the server on the Mac
and the client running on the Sun.  Currently the baud rate is fixed
at 19.2K.  Eventually, Wedge plans on supporting TCP/IP, Ethernet,
etc.

As for performance: I haven't really tested it extensively, but my
impression is that though the underlying hardware of a Sun 3 and a Mac
II are roughly the same, performance is much slower than on a Sun 3
over Ethernet.  I haven't able to determine if this is because of
inefficiency in the server itself, or because of the slower serial
communication (or possibly something else altogether).  Wedge claims
that the next release will offer substantially faster performance.

>	Is there a MacApp like package of classes for it?

The standard NeWS classing mechanism is present.  All of the standard
Postscript libraries (i.e., liteitems.ps, etc) are included as well.

>	How does it interface with Lisp (Coral or MacScheme)?

As I mentioned, since this is really only a server-side port, I don't
think it's currently possible to write Mac programs which interface
with the NeWS server.  The product is intended to run the display side
of client programs running on another machine.

>	Where can I get it?

Wedge Computer, Inc.
2 Winter Street
Waltham, MA  02154
(617) 891-1313

Price: $300

System Requirements: Macintosh II or Macintosh SE with 2 megabytes of
memory and a 20 megabyte hard disk.

Notes:

- The above system requirements are from Wedge's literature.  Though
they claim it will run on a Mac SE, I would suspect that it would be
agonizingly slow; it's barely acceptable on a II.  Also, if it does
indeed run on an SE, I can't see why it should not also run on a Mac
Plus.

- The distribution consists of four 800K Mac disks and a tape
containing the Sun portion of the software.  When installed, it takes
about 3-4 meg of disk space on the Mac.  Most of this appears to be
font definition files.

----
Mark Vita                              ARPA: vita@ge-crd.ARPA
General Electric Company               UUCP: vita@desdemona.steinmetz.UUCP
Corporate R & D                              vita@desdemona.steinmetz.ge.com
Schenectady, NY                              desdemona!vita@steinmetz.UUCP

chul@sorak.kaist.ac.kr (Chul Chung) (04/30/88)

NeWS on MAC's A/UX:
	Two companies bring SUN's NeWS into Mac's A/UX.

	The cost of the NeWs is around $250.

	Supplier:
		1. Grasshopper Group
		   212 Clayton St.
		   SF, CA 94117
		   (415) 668-5998

		2. Wedge Computer
		   2 Winter St.
		   Waltham, MA 02154
		   (617) 891-1313

I didn't evaluate these. We are processing to buy it. It will take lots
of time due to geographical distance(I'm in KOREA). If you get it and
evaluate, please let me know.

Chul Chung
Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology(KAIST)
chul%sorak.kaist.ac.kr@relay.cs.net