[comp.windows.news] Icons and NeWS 1.1

csbg@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Bruce) (04/28/88)

At last we have received NeWS 1.1. Isn't it great !?! Isn't the documentation
so much better than before ? (Rhetorical questions all).

My poser is as follows:

   Now that it is possible to have icons as the keys in a menu, how does
   one build one's own iconfont and get NeWS to recognise it so that the
   following will work properly:

   /ToolMenu [
              /lineicon     % User defined icon
              {lineiconproc} ... etc

I have followed the instructions in the manual to the letter and I now have
a .fb and .ff file in $NEWSHOME/fonts and a .ps file in $NEWSHOME/lib/NeWS
a la manual. However, I can find no mention of how to make use of the .ps
file to allow me to reference my icons by name in menu definitions.

Perhaps some other people have found this to be a problem so an answer to the
net might well be the best idea.

A t D h V a A n N k C s E

Bruce Gilmour           ! E-MAIL address:
CS4 Student             !     csbg@its63b.ed.ac.uk
University of Edinburgh !

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this posting are those of a small
            being who speaks no Earthly language and who, on the point of
            being sued, slips into another dimension at will.

mday@cgl.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (05/01/88)

In article <1232@its63b.ed.ac.uk> csbg@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Bruce) writes:
>At last we have received NeWS 1.1. Isn't it great !?! Isn't the documentation
>so much better than before ?

My favorite part of the documentation is the following quote that was
pointed out to me by a coworker here at UCSF.  This appears on page iii
of the NeWS Technical Overview.

	"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not more so."
			-- Alfred Einstein
				 ^^^^

My theory is that the people at Sun spend too much time reading
Mad Magazine.  I'm suprised that the quote wasn't attributed to
Alfred E. Einstein :-)

		Mark Day
UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu