[comp.windows.news] beginner NeWS questions

marshall@software.ORG (Eric Marshall) (05/01/88)

	We just got 1.1 in for our 3/260's, our first copy of
NeWS, and I'm totally stoked. I have just a few simple questions
if nobody minds. Thanks in advance.

  - Which terminal emulator program does everyone use, and why?
    I've only heard about psterm before, but 1.1 has nterm in it,
    which seems to have a lot more things in it than psterm does.

  - Is there a way to specify the font family for psterm to use?
    I couldn't find documentation to support this.

  - Is there a way for psterm not to scale the font, and just change
    the window size? The documentation says no.

  - Is there a way for psterm to understand multi-click text selections,
    e.g. one click is for characters, two clicks is for words, etc. ala
    shelltool? The documentation says no. If not, why not? I think this
    is a really good feature. Is this sort of temporal analysis even
    possible in NeWS?

  - Is there a way for the pull right menus to retain state information,
    ala suntools? Virtually the only time I used this features in suntools
    was for text stuffing, which is were I would also want to use it in NeWS.

  - Can someone explain why moving a window over the "Group" root background
    is significantly slower than over the "Plain" background when moving the
    entire window contents?

  - How do I list out the procedure names in the global CaretShapeDict dictionary?

Eric Marshall
Software Productivity Consortium
1880 North Campus Commons Drive
Reston, VA 22091
(703) 391-1838

CSNET: marshall@software.org
ARPANET: marshall%software.org@relay.cs.net  OR
         @relay.cs.net:marshall@software.org

greg@gergle.UUCP (05/02/88)

	  - Is there a way for psterm not to scale the font, and just change
	    the window size? The documentation says no.
no.

	  - Is there a way for psterm to understand multi-click text selections,
	    e.g. one click is for characters, two clicks is for words, etc. ala
	    shelltool? The documentation says no. If not, why not? I think this
	    is a really good feature.
no. Read the chapter 5 on extended input.

	  - Can someone explain why moving a window over the "Group" root background
	    is significantly slower than over the "Plain" background when moving the
	    entire window contents?

In Short, Group Root is a stupid client.

It does not do intelligent damage repair.  The time delay you are seeing is
the processing time for drawing the logo in PostScript.  If you move a window
in the center of the screen, damage will occur to the root canvas. (Unless
you have a retained root canvas)
The PostScript procedure which draws the group root picture draws the whole
thing, regardless of the area damaged.  The time to process the path and
prepare for filling is significant even though the C drawing functions
will trivial reject the area to be filled before actually painting bits.

You could speed things up considerably by checking to see if the bounding
box of the current clip intersects with the bounding box of the logo at damage
repair time.

	  - How do I list out the procedure names in the global CaretShapeDict dictionary?

psh
CaretShapeDict { pop == } forall

will get you all the keys in the dict. You could check the "type" of
the values and filter for executable arrays if you just want procedures.

	-greg.

shadow@pawl16.pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (05/02/88)

In article <8804301701.AA07101@brillig.umd.edu> marshall@software.ORG (Eric Marshall) writes:

>	We just got 1.1 in for our 3/260's, our first copy of
>NeWS, and I'm totally stoked. I have just a few simple questions
>if nobody minds. Thanks in advance.
>
>  - Which terminal emulator program does everyone use, and why?
>    I've only heard about psterm before, but 1.1 has nterm in it,
>    which seems to have a lot more things in it than psterm does.

I use psterm, because for some reason, our NeWS 1.1 does not have nterm.

>  - Is there a way to specify the font family for psterm to use?
>    I couldn't find documentation to support this.

I doubt it..  Possibly by changing the UserProfile entries, but I doubt psterm
bothers to pay attention to them.

>  - Is there a way for psterm not to scale the font, and just change
>    the window size? The documentation says no.

No, there isn't.

>  - Is there a way for psterm to understand multi-click text selections,
>    e.g. one click is for characters, two clicks is for words, etc. ala
>    shelltool? The documentation says no. If not, why not? I think this
>    is a really good feature. Is this sort of temporal analysis even
>    possible in NeWS?

No, psterm can't do that, either.  No mouse tracking, either.  And yes, NeWS
is capable of doing that and much more.  Keep in mind that in almost any
given situation, NeWS is much more flexible than Suntools.  But it is newer
and therefore less developed.  Such features and more will surely be added in
time...  Also bear in mind that psterm is hopelessly brain-damaged.  It does
a lot, but it needs to be rewritten or replaced...

>  - Is there a way for the pull right menus to retain state information,
>    ala suntools? Virtually the only time I used this features in suntools
>    was for text stuffing, which is were I would also want to use it in NeWS.

Certainly, the menus can hold whatever state information they want.  HOW to do
so, I don't know, offhand...

>  - Can someone explain why moving a window over the "Group" root background
>    is significantly slower than over the "Plain" background when moving the

because it takes rather a bit more computing to figure out what needs to be
repainted...

>  - How do I list out the procedure names in the global CaretShapeDict dictionary?

easisest way:
psh
executive
Welcome to NeWS version 1.1
CaretShapeDict ==
quit

CAUTION:  For large dictionaries (esp. systemdict) the NeWS server may crash.

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu
shadow@pawl.rpiedu@itsgw