[comp.windows.news] Traffic on the X list

mo@maximo.UUCP (Mike O'Dell) (07/01/88)

Maybe it's because of the bugs. (grin)

dm@DIAMOND.BBN.COM ("Dave Mankins") (07/01/88)

>Maybe it's because of the bugs. (grin)

More likely it's because of the price.

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (07/02/88)

In comp.windows.news, dm@DIAMOND.BBN.COM ("Dave Mankins") writes:
>>Maybe it's because of the bugs. (grin)
>More likely it's because of the price.

Even more likely, it's because of the politics that prevent other
vendors from supplying NeWS ports for their machines.

The $100 fee for NeWS binaries doesn't seem like a big impediment
to anyone who wants to run it on a Sun.  Of course, you don't get
sources, but then again you don't tend to NEED sources to get
NeWS working, unlike certain other window systems we could name :-)
--
 Matt Landau		    	   Riding shotgun down the avalanche
 mlandau@bbn.com

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (07/02/88)

>In comp.windows.news, dm@DIAMOND.BBN.COM ("Dave Mankins") writes:
>>>Maybe it's because of the bugs. (grin)
>>More likely it's because of the price.
>
>Even more likely, it's because of the politics that prevent other
>vendors from supplying NeWS ports for their machines.
>
>The $100 fee for NeWS binaries doesn't seem like a big impediment
>to anyone who wants to run it on a Sun.  Of course, you don't get
>sources, but then again you don't tend to NEED sources to get
>NeWS working, unlike certain other window systems we could name :-)
>--
> Matt Landau		    	   Riding shotgun down the avalanche

To some extent it's a bootstrap problem (at least as viewed from here,
where we don't have any NeWS yet.)

Ok, it's $100/copy (RTU is cheaper but manuals are nice which seems to
be a lot of what that $100 is for.) We have 100 or so workstations,
that's $10K, well, we don't need it for nearly that many at this
point, how many do we need it for?

Hmm, well, I guess developers around here, people who want to have an
opinion as it comes onto the scene, like myself, to advise the others
here. Well, lessee, a dozen copies might do it, $1200, that's probably
how many people might be using X around here right now from time to
time, maybe a few less would do it. Not a whole lot of money really,
but hardly free.

But it *is* beta software, and I think it's supposed to show up
magically bundled anyhow "real soon now" (remember that the "real soon
now" was originally something like last April and has been slipping,
seemed like we might as well wait, the beta stuff sounded pretty
buggy, and people running 1.0 said wait for 1.1, and I don't remember
any real announcement of that, I did see some mention on the net so I
sort of knew it must be ready, but "real soon now...")

And besides, we FTP'd over X and got it running and that was all
rather painless, how many window systems do I want to play with at
once? Ach, play with X now, wait for NeWS, it's coming it's coming.

And it's not like there are applications out there crying for NeWS
(eg. things like Frame), there's no noise I've heard from our users
(as a matter of fact I have no idea off-hand what is available with
NeWS other than the environment and a terminal emulator, am I missing
something? How would I know? I haven't seen any literature really and
I haven't noticed lots of sources being posted here to things I just
*must* have, or reference to the same, that's part of the bootstrap
problem I guess, if everyone's waiting for some critical threshold of
applications to appear then they're [we're] not writing them.)

My 2c: if they had thrown the beta Sun stuff (binary is probably fine)
somewhere to anonymous FTP with some on-line supporting docs (or even
just sent the salesthings around with some hardcopies of core docs to
hand out to people they thought should be playing with it at this
stage, or even charged a few bucks) more people would probably be
playing with it.

Right now it sort of sits in the well of this energy threshold,
wondering if tomorrow's mailbox will just sort of have a tape of it
sitting there, and I'm trying to figure out the Widgets library and
putting up CLX and trying to get it to do something, maybe with PCL,
and porting the X software to things like Encores and...

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

lerici@super.ORG (Peter W. Brewer) (07/02/88)

>>Maybe it's because of the bugs. (grin)

>More likely it's because of the price.

And the number of systems on which it runs. (ugh even VMS)

tomlin@hc.DSPO.GOV (Bob Tomlinson) (07/02/88)

in article <23581@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) says:
> ...	Lots of stuff about NeWS cost on 10-100 workstations.
> Right now it sort of sits in the well of this energy threshold,
> wondering if tomorrow's mailbox will just sort of have a tape of it
> sitting there, and I'm trying to figure out the Widgets library and
> putting up CLX and trying to get it to do something, maybe with PCL,
> and porting the X software to things like Encores and...

Meanwhile the NeWS client side is trivially portable to Encores
(as well as MIPS, Alliant, etc.) and is actually being used in large
distributed applications that would *kill* a network if the applications
were using X.  Free ain't always everything.

I wonder how much of a difference there is in actual cost when you
consider you get ~$60 of manuals (not to mention the tape) for your
$100 NeWS license fee.  Nutshell sells their X manuals documenting
X's hundreds of calls and thousands of arguments for $60.  Pretty similar
prices.

NeWS right to use licenses are $25 (that's $2,500 for your 100 workstations).
Isn't that about the price of 1 compiler for a VMS 11/780 for 1 year?
My haven't times changed.

	-- bob
--
Bob Tomlinson -- tomlin@hc.dspo.gov  --  (505) 667-8495
Los Alamos National Laboratory  --  MEE-10/Data Systems

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (07/05/88)

in article <11199@jade.BBN.COM>, mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) says:
> Even more likely, it's because of the politics that prevent other
> vendors from supplying NeWS ports for their machines.
>
> The $100 fee for NeWS binaries doesn't seem like a big impediment
> to anyone who wants to run it on a Sun.  Of course, you don't get
> sources, but then again you don't tend to NEED sources to get
> NeWS working, unlike certain other window systems we could name :-)

I tend to agree...certain other workstation vendors are probably
not interested in following behind Sun...interestingly by not having
a NeWS port they are stuck with X...and they wind up still
following Sun who has will have X/NeWS...

having shown NeWS to some folks that have been using X on an RT they
are off looking at Suns...(because of NeWS)

----------------
Naturally my opinions are my own.

lkb@theceg.UUCP (Lawrence Keith Blische) (07/05/88)

From article <8807011518.AA07601@metropolis.super.org>,
 by lerici@super.ORG (Peter W. Brewer):

>>>Maybe it's because of the bugs. (grin)
>
>>More likely it's because of the price.
>
> And the number of systems on which it runs. (ugh even VMS)

Just what systems/hardware are supported?
Larry Blische			      ...!cp1!sarin\
The Computer Engineering Group, Inc.		    !wb3ffv!theceg!lkb
+1 301 282 5876 (9-5 ET)	         ...!aplcen/

dm@DIAMOND.BBN.COM ("Dave Mankins") (07/08/88)

> [talk about how the $100 fee for News binaries is a tiny
impediment.]

A couple of years ago (post News, although at the time it was
still called Sundew) I worked for a company that builds a
large-scale parallel processor which does not run SUN binaries,
and at the time didn't even run UNIX.  For the price of a few
hours spent running FTP, and a couple of days spent debugging
my Berkeley socket emulation library, we had X up and running
on this machine.  We were able to show our management that X on
this machine was a reasonably good thing, and they agreed, and
a little while later it was a part of our product line (it
helps that we liked to distribute sources with our products).

(It was this easy because our machine is a computer, not a
workstation, so I didn't have to port the display portion,
which is more hardware-dependent.)

What would it take to talk my boss-beings into springing for
the $40K source license, signing a semi-restrictive agreement
with what was, more or less, a competitor, just to do an
EVALUATION? Especially when that $40K could immediately be
applied to buying workstations to make our programmers more
productive?  I'm not flaming SUN, I think that if you do good
work, you're entitled to ask money for it, if you so choose.
However, I think that in order for something to become a
standard, you have to be pretty loose with the sources, so people
can port it to their machine without spending more time talking
to the company's lawyers than they spend doing the port.

I hate talking to lawyers.  Even believing that Sundew was a
superior paradigm, X was preferable, because we could spend the
News source license fee putting Sun 3/50s on 10 of the
department's desks immediately instead of a year later.  It would
be a LONG time before the value-added of News over X came any
where close to the value-added of those 10 workstation-years.

News ain't ever likely to run on that machine, because:

 o   they've got a ``pretty good'' window system now, one that
     interoperates with all our other workstation and CPU vendors
     --- we can even put PCs on the net running X

 o   since they've got X, they no longer pay much attention to
     yet another window system from SUN, so they don't know
     what they're missing

 o   the above two reasons have to be overcome to justify the
     expense of a source license (which they need to port the
     software to their multiprocessors and their vaxen)

I'm sure that they're not the only hardware vendor in a similar
fix.  The News BINARY license is comparable to the expense of
getting the X SOURCE tape, if you're on the internet, X is FREE.
The value-added of News over X isn't immediately obvious, so
why spend all that money on a gamble (at the time Sundew first
came out, it was Suns THIRD incompatible window system.  Who
could predict that there wouldn't be a fourth)?  The first
they're likely to see of News will be after the X/News combined
server comes out, so they can run their existing software on it.

X is like a weed, it can germinate and spread to your machine
without much attention on your part.  With News you have to spend
$40,000 in garden tools and fertilizer before you even get the
seeds.

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (07/08/88)

In article <8807061628.AA22039@quartz.BBN.COM>, dm@DIAMOND.BBN.COM ("Dave Mankins") writes:
> X is like a weed, it can germinate and spread to your machine
> without much attention on your part.  With News you have to spend
> $40,000 in garden tools and fertilizer before you even get the
> seeds.

     Yes, but a weed can also grow out of control.  Withness all the toolkits
out there.  There needs to be some consensus on A toolkit in order to make
applications more portable.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

ronb@natmlab.dms.OZ.AU (Ron Baxter) (07/13/88)

In article <23581@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>And it's not like there are applications out there crying for NeWS
>(eg. things like Frame), there's no noise I've heard from our users
>(as a matter of fact I have no idea off-hand what is available with
>NeWS other than the environment and a terminal emulator, am I missing
>something? How would I know? I haven't seen any literature really and

	Well that really is an invitation to mention that we have a
	version of the AT&T S Data Analysis System running under
	NeWS.  It has the name of Ace and the first version is out
	there but, of course, we are working on the second which will
	be a whole lot better.

	So what, you could say, since S is readily available under
	SunView -- S-Plus comes to mind.  Well, since NeWS is built on
	PostScript it has been quite easy to make Ace generate
	very impressive color graphics on the screen, and equally
	impressive grey-scale graphics on the LaserWriter -- instead
	of the simple Tek-like line drawings that most S users get.

	So you are right, maybe it will need a bit more time before
	the number of applications will become noticeable, but I
	expect these applications will have excellent graphics
	capabilities because PostScript makes it possible.

--
Ron Baxter, CSIRO Div Maths & Stats, PO Box 218, Lindfield, NSW, Australia.
PHONE:	+61 2 467 6059			ACSNET:	ronb@natmlab.oz

cjc@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[rs]) (07/13/88)

In article <8807090612.AA05871@dmssyd.dms.oz>, ronb@natmlab.dms.OZ.AU.UUCP writes:

> In article <23581@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> >
> >And it's not like there are applications out there crying for NeWS
> >(eg. things like Frame), there's no noise I've heard from our users
> >(as a matter of fact I have no idea off-hand what is available with
> >NeWS other than the environment and a terminal emulator, am I missing
> >something? How would I know? I haven't seen any literature really and
>
> 	Well that really is an invitation to mention that we have a
> 	version of the AT&T S Data Analysis System running under
> 	NeWS.  It has the name of Ace and the first version is out
> 	there but, of course, we are working on the second which will
> 	be a whole lot better.
>
> 	So what, you could say, since S is readily available under
> 	SunView -- S-Plus comes to mind.  Well, since NeWS is built on
> 	PostScript it has been quite easy to make Ace generate
> 	very impressive color graphics on the screen, and equally
> 	impressive grey-scale graphics on the LaserWriter -- instead
> 	of the simple Tek-like line drawings that most S users get.
>
> 	So you are right, maybe it will need a bit more time before
> 	the number of applications will become noticeable, but I
> 	expect these applications will have excellent graphics
> 	capabilities because PostScript makes it possible.

What, you don't have a color PostScript printer yet???  O.K. the one
we have here is about $20,000, so you're off the hook.

Anyway, I whole heartedly agree.  The project I'm working on now
is using NeWS for just these types of reasons.
	Quick development time.
	Can print anything that can be displayed on the screen.
	Low network bandwidth (for those who say that such things
		as menu synchronization eat this up, I say
		hog wash!  Just write the _whole_ application
		in PostScript, and you won't have to worry about
		communication costs.  Actually, our software is
		about 90% in PostScript, so it is possible, without
		losing performance (speed of drawing and doing
		large datbase searches are much bigger problems
		on our project than speed of interpreting the
		PostScript code.
	Don't have to take a course in computer graphics to understand
	 it.
		PostScript looks messy, but it's really _clean_ and easy
		to understand.  Plus, the imaging model is more intuitive
		for those of us who have studdied art, and not fundamentals
		of math oriented bit blitting 403 in graduate school.

--
	Christopher J. Calabrese
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

moraes@godzilla.ele.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (07/14/88)

In article <3678@pdn.UUCP> reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) writes:
>In article <8807061628.AA22039@quartz.BBN.COM>, dm@DIAMOND.BBN.COM ("Dave Mankins") writes:
>     Yes, but a weed can also grow out of control.  Withness all the toolkits
>out there.  There needs to be some consensus on A toolkit in order to make
>applications more portable.

With X10, people grumbled that there weren't any standard toolkits.
With X11, there are too many ... :-)

There aren't too many toolkits for X - the Xt intrinsics seem to have
been accepted as a standard, it seems. I like it - it offers powerful
primitives. You get the Athena widgets and the HP widgets layered on
top on that - use one or both sets.  According to the Open Look press
releases, AT&T is going to layer it on top of Xt as well. (NeWS too).
Majority of the X applications seem to use Xt with Xaw.

The Andrew Toolkit is pretty much a system in its own right - more
like an environment.

CLUE is for Lisp, InterViews is for C++.

I believe HP ported Xray to X11 to provide an upgrade path for X10
Xray users. They encourage use of the HP widgets.