[comp.windows.news] Implementing N*S without the reference source

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (07/18/88)

diamant@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (John Diamant) wrote:
> Yes, that is true now. However, it is virtually impossible to implement either
> NFS or NeWS without the reference source.

Sun designs a capable, very hard to build software product, builds it, and
offers to sell the sources to anybody for cheap.  The complaint is that
they designed something that was too hard to clone?  Be real...

	John "I cloned uucp without the reference sources" Gilmore

PS:  Besides, PostScript (the hard part of NeWS) has been cloned several
times, one of which will be distributed free by the GNU project.
--
John Gilmore    {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid,amdahl}!hoptoad!gnu    gnu@toad.com
      "And if there's danger don't you try to overlook it,