[comp.windows.news] NeWS's use of floating point

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (07/22/88)

	How much use does NeWS (we're running version 1.1) make of floating
point?  A lot of the basic PostScript stuff like scale and rotate and
scalefont seem like they almost have to be floating point intensive.  Some
of the stuff applications do, like the backgammon game calculating the arcs
along which men are moved, also seem like they must be done with floating
point.  The reason I ask is because while NeWS comes with both 68010 and
68020 versions of the server, it doesn't come with versions for the various
floating point hardware configurations.  I've got a 68881 in my
workstation; I wonder how much faster news_server would run if it was
compiled with the -f68881 flag.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

greg@gergle.UUCP (07/25/88)

>I wonder how much faster news_server would run if it was
>compiled with the -f68881 flag.

No faster. It uses fixed point arithmetic. There are different assembler
files for the different CPU's.

	-greg.

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (07/25/88)

In a related question, can NeWS use the Sky Floating Point board in a Sun 2?

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		inhp4, masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl,
	ccastks@gitvm1.bitnet	unmvax, ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

	soon to be open: ...!gatech!spooge!ken (finally ;'})

liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/29/88)

In article <8807242004.AA17741@frame.com> greg@gergle.UUCP writes:
>>I wonder how much faster news_server would run if it was
>>compiled with the -f68881 flag.
>No faster. It uses fixed point arithmetic. There are different assembler
>files for the different CPU's.

Not entirely true, there are genuine floats in there and
compiling with -f68881 or -fsky does gain you something. It
isn't very much though, because Sun do try to use their
fixed-point stuff wherever possible.
--

William Roberts         ARPA: liam@cs.qmc.ac.uk  (gw: cs.ucl.edu)
Queen Mary College      UUCP: liam@qmc-cs.UUCP