[comp.windows.news] caPITalS

toms@NCIFCRF.GOV (07/31/88)

David Geary asks:
>    Thirdly, why did they name it NeWS instead of news?  Typing
>CAPITAL N e CAPITAL W CAPITAL S is a pain.
I tHiNk iTs a FaD.  Look aT LaTeX and TeX and PostScript.  jUSt A moDERN
tHinG lIKe hULa hOOPS, eVERYbody hAS tO dO iT.  iT wIlL GO AWAY eVENTually.
But in the meantime, why don't we just refuse
to type the capitals?  Anybody out there want to help me start a boycott?
News and latex and postscript are great without the capitals!
Tom Schneider

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (08/02/88)

In article <8807291539.AA05921@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov> toms@NCIFCRF.GOV writes:
>David Geary asks:
>>
>>Thirdly, why did they name it NeWS instead of news?  Typing CAPITAL
>>N e CAPITAL W CAPITAL S is a pain.
>
>I tHiNk iTs a FaD.  Look aT LaTeX and TeX and PostScript.  jUSt A
>moDERN tHinG lIKe hULa hOOPS, eVERYbody hAS tO dO iT.  iT wIlL GO
>AWAY eVENTually.

As has been discussed here before, it's also hard to pronounce in such
a way as to distiguish the window system from the message system from
the Japanese workstation.

At the NeWS SIG at SUG in San Jose last December, it was agreed (by
everyone present except those from Sun) that the correct way to
pronounce the window system was "knee-wiss".

The local NeWS hacquers didn't like that idea much, so they've started
pronouncing the name of Steve Jobs' new company (also using odd
CapiTaliZation) as "knee-zit".
-=-
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277
 bob@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!bob

jeff@amsdsg.UUCP (Jeff Barr) (08/02/88)

NeWS is not named NEWS because NEWS is trademarked by Sony for their
workstation product line.  Apparently, case does matter in trademark
names!  This is straight from a Sony representative, later confirmed
by SUN.

						Jeff
	|  Jeff Barr   AMS   uunet!amsdsg!jeff   800-832-8668 |
	\  "This space for rent".			      /

wolfe@pdnag1.uucp (0000-Mike Wolfe(0000)) (08/02/88)

In article <19094@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
<In article <8807291539.AA05921@fcs260c2.ncifcrf.gov> toms@NCIFCRF.GOV writes:
<>David Geary asks:
<>>
<>>Thirdly, why did they name it NeWS instead of news?  Typing CAPITAL
<>>N e CAPITAL W CAPITAL S is a pain.
<>
<As has been discussed here before, it's also hard to pronounce in such
<a way as to distiguish the window system from the message system from
<the Japanese workstation.

Boy do I hate that!
"Do you mean news news or news NeWS" -- accompanied by dumb look.

<At the NeWS SIG at SUG in San Jose last December, it was agreed (by
<everyone present except those from Sun) that the correct way to
<pronounce the window system was "knee-wiss".

I pronounce it "Snooze" as in "Sun NeWS", try it, it fits.

Mike Wolfe
"I love NeWS... honest. I just wish it was faster and had fewer bugs"