[comp.windows.news] Here are some easy questions...

dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) (07/28/88)

    I've just gotten started with NeWS, so forgive me if this is the ultimate
novice question, but I can't run NeWS for more than a few minutes without
the bottom 1/5 of the screen puking out, and telling me:

"Window display lock broken because process xxxx blocked"

How do I fix the lock?  Can I get a new one at Ace Hardware?  How do I stop
this from happening.

    Secondly, can I start up the NeWS server and run NeWS in just one window
inside of suntools?  When I start up the server, it takes the whole screen.

    Thirdly, why did they name it NeWS instead of news?  Typing
CAPITAL N e CAPITAL W CAPITAL S is a pain.

Thanks for all replies.

~ David Geary, Boeing Aerospace,               ~
~ Seattle - "THE DRIZZLE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD" ~

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (08/02/88)

In article <2126@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
|"Window display lock broken because process xxxx blocked"

I don't know if this is your error, but from Page 5 of READ THIS FIRST:

"NeWS 1.1 incorporates a process timeout mechanism. This prevents a
single errant process from grabbing the NeWS server, preventing other
NeWS processes from running. A clock counts down seconds from a global
timeout value. It is reset everytime the server switches to another
process. If it reaches zero, the current process gets a TIMEOUT error.

The timeout value defaults to 15 seconds. If you find processes are
getting timeout errors (for example when displaying complex graphics)
the timeout value can be modified (globally) by using the
SETJOBTIMEOUT operator described in Appendix D.6 of the PostScript
Language Reference Manual. For example,

	statusdict begin 90 setjobtimeout end

will set the timeout to 90 seconds."

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

pvo3366@neptune.uucp (Paul O'Neill) (08/03/88)

In article <4993@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> barnett@steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:

>the timeout value can be modified (globally) by using the
>SETJOBTIMEOUT operator described in Appendix D.6 of the PostScript
>Language Reference Manual. For example,
>
>	statusdict begin 90 setjobtimeout end
>
>will set the timeout to 90 seconds."

Appendix D of the 'red book' is Apple Laserwriter specific.  We have
NeWS 1.0.  Any reference to statusdict blows its mind.

The real solution here is to open a console (psterm or commandtool) for
all those messages to go to.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU/Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251