[comp.windows.news] Broken display lock

pat@vitsun.UUCP (Patrick Turley) (08/03/88)

In article <2126@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>"Window display lock broken because process xxxx blocked"

In SunView, processes obtain locks from the windowing system before they
write to the screen. These locks time out after 1 second of virtual process
time (I think that's right - check the SunView manual if the precise number
interests you). If the lock is broken, that is the message you get. I don't
have NeWS here so I don't know a lot about it but it seems logical to infer
from what I've heard that it is going through the usual SunView arbitration
mechanisms (NeWS will run in a SunView window, won't it?) but taking too
long on something. I was once interested in increasing the timeout value
and called up Sun software support to find out if it was a system parameter
that I could fiddle with in some configuration file or something. It turns
out that it doesn't appear in a any configuration file but you can
increase it by poking a particular location in the kernel. Of course, that
means the new value is only good until the system goes down. Perhaps this
could be automated by feeding adb's stdin with a script in rc.local.

                                Pat

+-------------------------+---------------------------------------+
|        | |   * *        |    Patrick Turley                     |
|      | | | * * * *      |    Senior Software Engineer           |
|    | | | * * * * * *    |    Visual Information Technologies    |
|    | | | * * * * * *    |    3460 Lotus Drive                   |
|      | | | * * * *      |    Plano, TX 75075                    |
|        | |   * *        |    (214) 596-5600  convex!vitsun!pat  |
+-------------------------+---------------------------------------+

deke@socrates.ee.rochester.edu (Deke Kassabian) (08/03/88)

In article <8808022253.AA13019@vitsun.com> pat@vitsun.UUCP (Patrick Turley) writes:
>In article <2126@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>>"Window display lock broken because process xxxx blocked"
>
>In SunView, processes obtain locks from the windowing system before they
>write to the screen. These locks time out after 1 second of virtual process
>time (I think that's right - check the SunView manual if the precise number
>interests you). If the lock is broken, that is the message you get.

That sounds about right.  I would agree that this suntools behaviour is
probably the equivalent of what David is seeing in NeWS.  I do have NeWS,
but haven't seen this happen yet.

> I was once interested in increasing the timeout value
>and called up Sun software support to find out if it was a system parameter
>that I could fiddle with in some configuration file or something. It turns
>out that it doesn't appear in a any configuration file but you can
>increase it by poking a particular location in the kernel. Of course, that
>means the new value is only good until the system goes down. Perhaps this
>could be automated by feeding adb's stdin with a script in rc.local.

The better way, or at least the more common handling, is to "re-acquire"
the lock *before* the timeout occurs.  The timeout is necessary, by the
way, to prevent a lock from remaining after a process has unexpectedly died.
But this is digressing and becoming a Suntools conversation.  Are we correct
in assuming that this NeWS behaviour is analogous to the Suntools windowlock?

 \\\  Deke Kassabian, URochester Department of Electrical Engineering  \\\
  \\\ deke@ee.rochester.edu                  "I never metacharacter     \\\
   \\\   or ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!deke     I didn't like......"      \\\
		   "Isn't fun the BEST thing to have ?"