[comp.windows.news] A Fontal Lobotomy ?

andy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Andrew Dwelly) (08/10/88)

I've been playing around with the fonts supplied with NeWS 1.1 and seem
to be having rather a problem with Times-Roman. Scaling it to 20 (pixels)
and then using it to show a small piece of text seems to print out
quite a lot of rubbish. Almost as if some other text were being printed
first, and then only partially erased by the "real" text.

I know NeWS is generally held to be a touch flakey in the area of font
scaling, rotation etc. Am I seeing an example of this, or could there
be some other explanation ? (corrupt fonts ? something worse ?)

				Andy

Andrew Dwelly
E.C.R.C.                                       UUCP: mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!andy
ArabellaStrasse 17 			       or    pyramid!ecrcvax!andy
D-8000 Muenchen 81, West Germany 	       UUCP Domain:  andy@ecrcvax.UUCP

[Bump, Crash ......
 Listen; who swears ?
 Christopher Robin has fallen down stairs.]

gerber@salt.uucp (Andrew Gerber) (08/11/88)

In article <611@ecrcvax.UUCP> andy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Andrew Dwelly) writes:

>I know NeWS is generally held to be a touch flakey in the area of font
>scaling, rotation etc. Am I seeing an example of this, or could there
>be some other explanation ? (corrupt fonts ? something worse ?)
>
>				Andy
>
>Andrew Dwelly
>E.C.R.C.                                       UUCP: mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!andy
>ArabellaStrasse 17 			       or    pyramid!ecrcvax!andy
>D-8000 Muenchen 81, West Germany 	       UUCP Domain:  andy@ecrcvax.UUCP

I don't know about the problem you mentioned, but we have had a
problem with text rotation on our Sun 3/50's.  The funny thing is,
the same code works great on the 4/110.  Instead of roating an entire
line of text, the sun 3/50 rotates only single characters, making them
look like they are dancing.  Anyone else noticed this problem?

Andrew S. Gerber          | McDonnell Douglas Communication Industry Systems
uunet!salt!gerber         | 5299 DTC Blvd, Englewood, CO 80111
salt!gerber@uunet.uu.net  | (303) 220 6231