[comp.windows.news] Is NeWS UseABLE?

dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) (08/02/88)

    I will soon be writing a graphical interface to Unix for Sun
workstations.  Recently I received NeWS, and have been playing with
it for about a week or so.

    I'm trying to figure out whether or not NeWS is mature enough to
for such a project.

    I'd like to know what bugs you have found with NeWS, and what
you like/dislike about it.  Here's a summary of my impressions so
far:

Pros:

1)  The postscript language, along with the object-oriented features
in NeWS give a very powerful development tool for implementing user
interfaces.

2)  NeWS code, since it runs via an interpreter appears to be *easy*
to debug.

Cons:

1)  The whole thing seems sluggish to me.  I thought that SunView
window manipulation was slow compared to my Amiga, but NeWS seems
even worse than SunView.  Right now, I'm running vi inside of a
VT102 emulator (psterm??), and I can outtype it at will.

2)  If I run NeWS inside of SunView, by "setenv FRAMEBUFFER x y w h"
(BTW, thanks to all who replied to my previous posting on this), I
don't get a window, I just get a non-sizeable area of the screen
that I can only run NeWS in - yuck.  If I run SunView application
inside of NeWS, I get an unsightly border around the SunView
application.  I'd like to be able to just run a NeWS application
inside of SunView, in a window that looks and behaves just like a
SunView window.

Anybody else care to add to this discussion?  NeWS seems *neat* to
me, but I'm unsure of it's maturity.  (Actually, I'm unsure of my
maturity too).

Thanx.

~ David Geary, Boeing Aerospace,               ~
~ Seattle - "THE DRIZZLE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD" ~

pvo3366@neptune.uucp (Paul O'Neill) (08/03/88)

In article <2135@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:

>2)  If I run NeWS inside of SunView, by "setenv FRAMEBUFFER x y w h"
>(BTW, thanks to all who replied to my previous posting on this), I
>don't get a window, I just get a non-sizeable area of the screen
>that I can only run NeWS in - yuck.  If I run SunView application.....

This is a neat trick!!  I couldn't find any postings describing this, so
I assume people must have mailed it to you.  Does it really work as
quoted in your posting?  It took me a long time to figure out
setenv FRAMEBUFFER '/dev/fb x y w h'  was what was required.

Where is this documented?

Wizards---why won't setenv FRAMEBUFFER /dev/win* work?

Paul O'Neill             pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU/Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331     503-754-3251

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (08/03/88)

in article <2135@ssc-vax.UUCP>, dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) says:
>     I will soon be writing a graphical interface to Unix for Sun
> workstations.  Recently I received NeWS, and have been playing with
> it for about a week or so.
>     I'm trying to figure out whether or not NeWS is mature enough to
> for such a project.

Why not ? Certainly others are writing NeWS-based applications...Sun
itself recently released an IBM 3270 emulator that runs under NeWS.
However, NeWS 1.1 remains an unsupported product and that may figure
in your thinking...(for that matter X remains an unsupported product
also..) Sun will release an X/NeWS merged product soon...
(Silicon Graphics incidentally already has an X/NeWS window system
which according to the net traffic works better with NeWS than X...:-)

> that I can only run NeWS in - yuck.  If I run SunView application
> inside of NeWS, I get an unsightly border around the SunView
> application.  I'd like to be able to just run a NeWS application
> inside of SunView, in a window that looks and behaves just like a
> SunView window.
It sounds like you are anticipating 4.1 when NeWS, X and Sunview
windows will cohabitate the screen peacefully...for the moment you'll
have to live with the white edging on your Sunview windows

I generally have some of the same gripes about type-ahead that you
have however i realize that 1) the product is unsupported and 2)
provides me with an initial development environment while i wait for
the supported NeWS/X window system.

My opinions are obviously my own and not my employers...

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (08/03/88)

answer is a qualified yes.  It got a bad reputation for crashing under
1.0.  There are no doubt still ways to make 1.1 crash, but I haven't
ever seen it crash, and I don't think our users find that a problem
anymore.  The tendency around here is to do any new applications for
it, as it seems to be easier to program than other windows systems.
The main problem is that there aren't many normal system applications
for it.  X has versions of most of the standard Sunview tools.  NeWS
does not.  However Sunview applications run under NeWS, though in a
slightly clunky way, so that isn't as bad a problem as it might be.
The biggest problem, as everyone agrees, is that there's no decent
terminal emulator.  If the one that is going to be posted Real Soon
Now solves that problem, I think NeWS will be ready for serious use by
real users.  I'm still not convinced that there's any generic
performance problem with NeWS itself.  Nterm is certainly unacceptably
slow, but I don't find psterm to be.  I'm sure that like many other
things it will depend upon the application, and also on how it is
structured.

However having said that, I'm still beginning to wonder whether NeWS
isn't sort of an orphan.  I kept hoping that Sun would be coming up
with a basic set of NeWS applications.  But the presentation at Usenix
said that they were doing Sunview 2 in X, and the final NeWS
development system wouldn't be out until sometime in 89.  NeWS 1.1
doesn't have any more applications than 1.0.  It's clear that like
computer systems, languages, etc., a window system is going to win
based on the software that is available for it, not its theoretical
merit.  If Sun themselves aren't willing to start producing
applications for it, I think it's bound to end up as sort of a
backwater (a very nice backwater, understand).  I'm not worried that
NeWS will vanish.  Merged X/NeWS will at least make sure that the
final Sun window system has the capability to run NeWS.  So I don't
feel badly about doing applications based on it.  But it's beginning
to look like the "software gap" is becoming impossible.  The X
community already has a long head start, and if Sun is depending upon
System V release 4 to get NeWS out, that's going to hold things up
long enough that I just can't see it catching up.  I suspect we'll
still use NeWS for things that we don't mind seeing run only on the
Sun.  But I'm beginning to think that where we have to choose a window
system, it's likely to be X.  There are several contexts in which we
really do have to choose one window system, and can't depend upon
merged X/NeWS.  I'd like to use micros as window servers, and I also
like the looks of the new Visual Technology X terminal.  I think it
may be asking a bit much for these low-end products to run merged
X/NeWS.

Oddly enough, my feeling that we should be using X will take effect
only when we get the merged X/NeWS.  For the moment, I'm inclined to
recommend that people use NeWS.  I think our users would react very
badly to the rather hacker-oriented style of the X tools.  So I think
our large-scale X use is likely to start with Sunview 2/Open Look.
For the moment, we have both, but I'm suggesting that people continue
using the Sunview tools under NeWS and do their own development work
in NeWS.  When vendors ask us which window system we'd like them to
support, I just don't know what to tell them.

If anybody at Sun wants to change this, I advise them to get a usable
terminal emulator out immediately, and within the next few months come
up with NeWS versions of the major Sunview tools.  But I think we'd
know already if such an effort were underway.

earle@MAHENDO.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle) (08/11/88)

>2)  If I run NeWS inside of SunView, by "setenv FRAMEBUFFER x y w h"
>(BTW, thanks to all who replied to my previous posting on this), I
>don't get a window, I just get a non-sizeable area of the screen
>that I can only run NeWS in - yuck.  If I run SunView application
>inside of NeWS, I get an unsightly border around the SunView
>application.  I'd like to be able to just run a NeWS application
>inside of SunView, in a window that looks and behaves just like a
>SunView window.

It may be `yuck', but that's what you get.  If you don't like it, run NeWS
(to take over the entire framebuffer) from inside SunView using overview(1).
You seem to want to consider NeWS a window-able application of SunView, and
it just isn't.  It's on the same level as SunView, and must be looked at
that way.  You get an unsightly border around SunView applications because
this is done on purpose to prevent strange mouse droppings from occurring
when one goes from a SunView window frame borderinto a NeWS window or NeWS
root window.  You're lucky that you can even run SunView binaries inside of
NeWS; you can't go the other way!

You'd like to be able to run NeWS applications under SunView, but (right now)
this is not possible.  When SunView 2 is released (as a toolkit for X11/NeWS),
you'll be able to do so, because by then SunView will be a subset of X11/NeWS
and everything will be one big, happy family.  Until then, sorry ...

	- Greg Earle
	  Sun Los Angeles Consulting

bzs@encore.UUCP (Barry Shein) (08/21/88)

(I swear I am trying to remain open-minded, don't confuse hard questions
with strong opinions.)

Does there exist any graphics editor which can take a postscript image
description and let you edit it visually in some useful way?

Is this hard? I think it's possible, but my intuitions say it's very
hard, not sure why exactly other than that such editors tend to want
object descriptions and postscript doesn't particularly lend itself to
that (it could be enforced as a discipline of course, I mean that
given some random graphic image from someone it won't likely be
structured in any particularly useful way.)

So such programs have to define some other file format, typically
their own (I guess QuickDraw was designed with this in mind?), which
can later be translated to postscript if desired.

This tends to deny the idea that ps is an image transmission/storage
language. If I store an interesting image in ps I'm not sure I can
later edit it (say a bunch of clip-art I might want to touch up for
layout later, I suppose anything is possible by simply overlaying with
new opaque elements, but the real issue is being able to do something
like point to an area and say "fill it w/ gray 80%" or change the light
source.)

What would it have taken to have made postscript also appropropriate
for graphical editing? Not sure. This is just a bunch of questions.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (08/23/88)

In article <3499@encore.UUCP> bzs@encore.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>Does there exist any graphics editor which can take a postscript image
>description and let you edit it visually in some useful way?
>
>Is this hard? I think it's possible, but my intuitions say it's very
>hard, not sure why exactly other than that such editors tend to want
>object descriptions and postscript doesn't particularly lend itself to
>that (it could be enforced as a discipline of course, I mean that
>given some random graphic image from someone it won't likely be
>structured in any particularly useful way.)
>What would it have taken to have made postscript also appropropriate
>for graphical editing? Not sure. This is just a bunch of questions.

Funny you should ask this question.  I spent the last few years of my life
doing a thesis on this very subject.  You are right; it's very hard.  My
solution was to design a new language that was very close to PostScript
but had the idea of objects.  It would be possible to imbed this in
PostScript by defining new operators, but it was still a new language.
There are reasons that you don't want to do this by imbedding --
PostScript is so flexible that it's impossible to statically analyze a
program and deduce anything interesting about it.  In order to make
editing fast you have to do some reasoning about the program, so I gave up
some of PostScript's flexibility.  PostScript programs that are "well
behaved" can mechanically be translated into my language, but others
cannot.

If you want all the details, you can order report 87/6 from DEC WRL:

	Carmen Rouse
	DEC Western Research Laboratory
	100 Hamilton Avenue
	Palo Alto, CA 94301

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente

jefu@pawl13.pawl.rpi.edu (Jeffrey Putnam) (08/25/88)

In article <229.8808111329@jura.ritd.co.uk> mr@ritd.co.UK writes:
>I'd like to endorse the item from Charles Hedrick <hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu>
>*especially* the comment about the window of opportunity for NeWS closing
>rapidly. I really hope that Sun responds to this message (but don't hold
>out much hope :-().

Me too.  But I would like to add that I think that the window has
essentially closed.  Too bad.  I think that NeWS was a great
system  but that unavailability of (even buggy) releases and especially
code has just about killed all but parochial interest in NeWS as it
has made the kind of ubiquitous hacking and production of tools and
toys difficult for many people - and in the Unix (tm - and all
standard hand waving) world that is one of the things that sells
systems.

jeff putnam
jefu@pawl.rpi.edu
"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."