[comp.windows.news] Hello from INTEROP88

ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (09/30/88)

I love a trade show that I can walk into almost any booth and
get logged in at reasonable speed to my home machine.  One
neat experiment was that The Wollongong Group provided a Sun
3/60C for a public mail reading terminal.  It was lacking a
windowing system, so I decided to see if I could start up NeWS
on it.  In order to do that, I NFS mounted the /usr partition
from a Rutgers machine and Symlinked /usr/NeWS to the appropriate
directory.  This worked amazingly well.

(The guys from the Apple booth thought that NeWS was pretty neat,
I showed them how to change the menus by just editing the user.ps
file.)

-Ron

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (10/04/88)

In article <Sep.29.16.40.16.1988.4903@ron.rutgers.edu>
ron@ron.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>I love a trade show that I can walk into almost any booth and
>get logged in at reasonable speed to my home machine.

	I thought that the "Show and Tel-Net" [ha ha] was very
effective.  I spent a lot of time banging on terminal servers while I
was at the show.

	In fact, I read your article while connected from a telnet
session on a PC on token ring in U-B's booth in Santa Clara into my
home system in Boston.  And it was fast.

	The show nets were registered with the NIC, the nameservers
worked, SNMP worked and a hell of a lot of stuff interoperated.  I
thought that InterOp was a very good demonstration of how seriously
many vendors are taking interoperability.  Value added is now added on
top of the (standard) protocols and not with different and proprietary
(for their own sake) protocols.  Wave of the future?  I saw a lot of
product differentiation, it just wasn't at the protocol level, thank
god.

	Had a lot of fun, too.