[comp.windows.news] remote NeWS servers - request for info

colers@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Richard Cole) (09/26/88)

Hi,
  we are running NeWS 1.1 on SUNs.  I have been trying to produce
output on a remote server to no avail !  I have followed the
procedure in the Sun NeWS manual;

setenv NEWSSERVER `setnewshost xxxx`
say -b"Hi" Hi

where xxxx is the id of the Sun running the server.

I get the following message on the server

  Network security violation:
  Rejected connection from yyyy

where yyyy is the id of the mechine originating the message.

I am new to NeWS so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
--
Richard Cole
colers@prl.philips.co.uk

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (09/29/88)

>  Network security violation:
>  Rejected connection from yyyy

You need to use newshost.

# newshost: add, remove or show the registry of hosts that are allowed to
#	    connect to the NeWS server
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
There's a little picture of ED MCMAHON doing BAD THINGS to JOAN RIVERS
 in a $200,000 MALIBU BEACH HOUSE!!

rberlin%birdland@Sun.COM (Rich Berlin) (09/29/88)

In article <643@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> colers@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Richard Cole) writes:

> Hi,
>   we are running NeWS 1.1 on SUNs.  I have been trying to produce
> output on a remote server to no avail !  I have followed the
> procedure in the Sun NeWS manual;
>
> setenv NEWSSERVER `setnewshost xxxx`
> say -b"Hi" Hi
>
> where xxxx is the id of the Sun running the server.
>
> I get the following message on the server
>
>   Network security violation:
>   Rejected connection from yyyy
>
> where yyyy is the id of the mechine originating the message.
>
> I am new to NeWS so any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Richard Cole
> colers@prl.philips.co.uk

NeWS (like X) maintains a list of "trusted" hosts, i.e. machines for which
the server agrees to bring up windows.  To make machine yyyy a trusted
host, you must execute the command

newshost add yyyy

on machine xxxx.

There are other options besides "add" to the newshost program; read the
man page (in $NEWSHOME/man/{man1,cat1}newshost.1) for details.

-- Rich

gerber@salt.uucp (Andrew Gerber) (09/29/88)

In article <643@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk> colers@prlhp1.prl.philips.co.uk (Richard Cole) writes:

>Hi,
>  we are running NeWS 1.1 on SUNs.  I have been trying to produce
>output on a remote server to no avail !  I have followed the
>procedure in the Sun NeWS manual;

Read your manual a bit more!  (Even though the NeWS 1.1 manual is
pretty deficient).  The command "newshost" is used to allow remote
NeWS servers to connect to a given workstation.  If you were on
machine salt, to let machine pepper pop up NeWS windows remotely
you would say:

salt% newshost add pepper

Also setting the systemdict entry /NetSecurityWanted to false will
disable network security.

Does anyone know what newshost enable and disable do?  They are not
described on the newshost manual page.

Andrew S. Gerber          | McDonnell Douglas Communication Industry Systems
uunet!salt!gerber         | 5299 DTC Blvd, Englewood, CO 80111
salt!gerber@uunet.uu.net  | (303) 220 6231

bvs@SUN.COM (Bruce Schwartz) (10/05/88)

You can also put the line:

/NetSecurityWanted false store

in your user.ps file on the server.  That lets anyone access the server.

-Bruce