[comp.windows.news] latest sun-4 news server, reliable?

ham@polya.stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) (10/08/88)

I'm trying to convince my project group to use NeWS rather than X11 to
develop a graphical environment for an object oriented programming language.

At stanford, we just got a bunch of Sun 4's.  Is the latest version of
NeWS that comes with sun 4's reliable enough for development work?

One of the arguments against NeWS is that all of the available implementations are too buggy.

Also, is there any public on-line documentation about NeWS (like a manual),
so that I can make a better decision about what system to use.
Peter

siegel@hc.DSPO.GOV (josh Siegel) (10/09/88)

In article <4351@polya.Stanford.EDU> ham@polya.stanford.EDU (Peter R. Ham) writes:

 >At stanford, we just got a bunch of Sun 4's.  Is the latest
 >version of NeWS that comes with sun 4's reliable enough for
 >development work?

definitly... we have developed several very large applications
under NeWS now.

 >One of the arguments against NeWS is that all of the
 >available implementations are too buggy.

Not the release of NeWS 1.1... it is for the most part very
clean.

 >Also, is there any public on-line documentation about NeWS
 >(like a manual), so that I can make a better decision about
 >what system to use.  Peter

nope. Not that I know of.  Don't you have a manual?  You said
it came with your machine.

			--Josh Siegel
--
Josh Siegel		(siegel@hc.dspo.gov)
I like using a C-47A "puff dragon" to go shooting beer cans with.