[comp.windows.news] Error: timeout - how can I change time limits?

dimitri@cui.UUCP (KONSTANTAS Dimitri) (10/20/88)

Here is my contribution to NeWS problems:
I have a big raster image (1536x2048x8) which I wount to
see with the showimage program.
But it seems that the time limits are rather small for loading
the image: I always get a
	Proccess: ...... Error: timeout
	Stack: canvas(1536x2048,unmapped,root,retained)
	Executing: readcanvas

The question is obvious: how can I change the time limits?
Any ideas? I went through the manuals and didn't found anything
(obviously I missed it !!)

Thanks for the help
dimitri

Dimitri Konstantas 			| UUCP : mcvax!cernvax!cui!dimitri
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique 	| EARN : dimitri@cgeuge51.bitnet
Univeristy of Geneva			| EAN  : dimitri@cui.unige.ch

naughton%wind@Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (10/21/88)

In article <246@cui.UUCP> dimitri@cui.UUCP (KONSTANTAS Dimitri) writes:

>Here is my contribution to NeWS problems:
>I have a big raster image (1536x2048x8) which I wount to
>see with the showimage program.
>But it seems that the time limits are rather small for loading
>the image: I always get a
>	Proccess: ...... Error: timeout
>	Stack: canvas(1536x2048,unmapped,root,retained)
>	Executing: readcanvas
>The question is obvious: how can I change the time limits?
>Dimitri Konstantas 			| UUCP : mcvax!cernvax!cui!dimitri
>Centre Universitaire d'Informatique 	| EARN : dimitri@cgeuge51.bitnet
>Univeristy of Geneva			| EAN  : dimitri@cui.unige.ch

Put this in your user.ps:

statusdict begin
    0 setjobtimeout
end

% "0 setjobtimeout" means never time out...
%        ...a dangerous practice in general, but it will solve your problem.

This is documented on page 304 of the red book.  The default timeout for
NeWS 1.1 is 15 seconds.

    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@Sun.COM
    Window Systems Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

gregm@SUN.COM (Greg McLaughlin) (10/24/88)

This is standard PostScript (ie: you'll find it in the Red Book).

	statusdict begin
		n setjobtimeout
	end

NeWS 1.1 has a bug that will require you to do a pause after the above
code for the new timeout to take effect. The value "n" is in seconds,
and 0 set the timeout to infinity. In NeWS this is on a per process basis,
so you need to modify showimage itself.

Hope this helps,
	Greg McLaughlin
	Sun Microsystems Inc.