[comp.windows.news] Adobe/Sun source code policies

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (10/27/88)

greid@ondine.COM (Glenn Reid) wrote:
>                             ...Adobe has a great interest in Sun
> Microsystems, and would love to see them use our Display PostScript
> implementation rather than a "clone."

Since I'm neither Sun Micro nor Adobe, I know nothing of what transpires
between them.  But one point where Adobe and Sun have different policies
is regarding the source code for their PostScript interpreters.

My company, Grasshopper Group, licensed Sun's NeWS for $25,000 plus
per-copy royalties.  For this we get full source code to everything --
not only the exact source to the Sun binaries, but also a more portable
version.  Anybody can do this.

Adobe's policy as far as I have been able to find out is to sell you a
BINARY of the interpreter for some large sum, which you can then link
with your own window system object code to produce a product.  The
source code is not available to the public at any price.  (IBM and/or
NeXT may have gotten a better deal, but the Grasshopper Group is
unlikely to.)

I can't see how Sun could adopt Display PostScript as the base
technology in NeWS without a much more liberal Adobe source code
policy.  Certainly I would be bothered if NeWS only became available to
licensees in binary -- Sun binaries won't run on Mac-II's, which is
where our product runs, so we would not be able to adopt future
versions of NeWS.  Besides, we like to support and enhance our
product, and if we didn't have source to 9/10ths of it, that would be
rather tough.

I agree that it would be nice if NeWS was exactly compatible with
the PostScript that runs in laser printers, but it is approaching
that now, bugfix by bugfix.
--
John Gilmore    {sun,pacbell,uunet,pyramid,amdahl}!hoptoad!gnu    gnu@toad.com
		Noriega-Bush in '88 -- a *crack* team.