[comp.windows.news] psview

conrad@jupiter.ucsc.edu (Al Conrad) (12/07/88)

Has anyone succesfully used psview to look at documents prepared with:

	1. ditroff -> transcript/psdit -> PostScript
	2. tex -> dvi2ps -> PostScript
	3. MacWrite -> PostScript captured with the command-F trick?

Thanks in advance,

Al Conrad
conrad@saturn.ucsc.edu

msc@canth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (12/08/88)

In article <5648@saturn.ucsc.edu>, conrad@jupiter.ucsc.edu (Al Conrad) writes:
> Has anyone succesfully used psview to look at documents prepared with:
>
> 	1. ditroff -> transcript/psdit -> PostScript
Yes, almost every day.

> 	2. tex -> dvi2ps -> PostScript
I have looked at three different TeX to PostScript translators and all
of them meddle in different ways with the innards of the LaserWriter.
One of them even exits the LaserWriter server loop relying on the password
being unchanged from the factory setting!  These things are extremely device
dependent and should not be used by a filter like this.  None of these TeX
filters will work on anything but an Apple LaserWriter.  They won't work
on Display PostScript.  They won't work on other Adobe licensed PostScript
printers.  They are the work of hackers (in the traditional sense) and
need major work to turn them into products.

> 	3. MacWrite -> PostScript captured with the command-F trick?
I captured some stuff from MacDraw but I couldn't even get this to print
out on the LaserWriter hooked to my Unix system so I didn't bother trying
it with psview.

--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@sgi.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl,sun}!sgi!msc