[comp.windows.news] NeWS running on VAX

cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (12/06/88)

Has anyone taken the NeWS source and ported it to a VAX?  I don't mean
ported the client to run on a VAX, I mean ported the server to run AND
display on a VAX.  If not, know of anyone who has at least tried?

Thanks in advance

---
W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806		e-mail: cyrus@pprg.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131

mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) (12/08/88)

In article <23677@pprg.unm.edu> cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) writes:

>Has anyone taken the NeWS source and ported it to a VAX?  I don't mean
>ported the client to run on a VAX, I mean ported the server to run AND
>display on a VAX.  If not, know of anyone who has at least tried?
>
>Thanks in advance

I've seen NeWS running on a b&w ultrix vaxstation (don't know what
kind) in sun booths on occasion. I think sun themselves did it to
demonstrate how portable NeWS was but take that with a grain of salt.

cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (12/09/88)

In article <24843@wlbr.EATON.COM> mh@wlbr.eaton.com.UUCP (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
>In article <23677@pprg.unm.edu> cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) writes:
>>Has anyone taken the NeWS source and ported it to a VAX?  I don't mean
>>ported the client to run on a VAX, I mean ported the server to run AND
>>display on a VAX.  If not, know of anyone who has at least tried?
>
>I've seen NeWS running on a b&w ultrix vaxstation (don't know what
>kind) in sun booths on occasion. I think sun themselves did it to
>demonstrate how portable NeWS was but take that with a grain of salt.

Hmm, well no one seems to know too much about NeWS running on a VAX,
whether Ultrix or VMS.  I guess Sun wants to keep it quiet, even
from themselves because I received a reply from someone at Sun requesting
information on any positive replies I received :^)

Some folks say that there is a port in the NeWS source, but I have
not seen any such animal in the source that is available for me to look at.
If such an animal exists, I would have expected that someone would be
running it, but as of yet I have not received anything saying that
"yes we are running NeWS on our VAX".

---
W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806		e-mail: cyrus@pprg.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131

tom@nlgvax.UUCP (Tom van Peer) (12/09/88)

If you buy the sources from SUN you get something like VAX-station
support.  But I must admit I haven't looked into it, we don't use that
type of machine around here.
--
Tom van Peer.
E-mail: mcvax!nlgvax!tom

kevin@jtsv16.UUCP (kevin) (12/09/88)

>In article <23677@pprg.unm.edu> cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) writes:
>>Has anyone taken the NeWS source and ported it to a VAX?  I don't mean
>>display on a VAX.  If not, know of anyone who has at least tried?

You might try the Grasshopper Group.  At SUG they indicated they were
possibly interested in doing other ports.  They have a MAC port for
A/UX I think.

--
Kevin Brighton                        kevin@jtsv16.jts.com
JTS Computer Systems Ltd.             uunet!jtsv16!kevin