[comp.windows.news] color imaging in NeWS

alan@cogswell.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Alan S. Mazer) (12/01/88)

Is it possible to do color imaging in NeWS?  I've assumed it was, but now that
I look at the manual, it doesn't say much about color, let alone color imaging.
If it is possible, then does anyone know how easy it is to get 256 colors on
a Sun console without losing the color map when the cursor leaves the window?
I've got software that does this under SunView, but I have the feeling that the
kludges that worked in SunView won't work in NeWS.  Apologies if this has been
discussed to death already; I'm new to this group.

-- Alan    ..!{ames,cit-vax}!elroy!alan         * "But, seriously, what can
           alan@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov                 go wrong?"

greg@gergle.UUCP (12/14/88)

>Is it possible to do color imaging in NeWS?  I've assumed it was, but now that
>I look at the manual, it doesn't say much about color, let alone color imaging.
>If it is possible, then does anyone know how easy it is to get 256 colors on
>a Sun console without losing the color map when the cursor leaves the window?
>I've got software that does this under SunView, but I have the feeling that the
>kludges that worked in SunView won't work in NeWS.  Apologies if this has been

NeWS 1.1 uses a static color map. You get a close fit to the colors you request.

	-greg.
discussed to death already; I'm new to this group.

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (12/15/88)

In comp.windows.news (<8812131751.AA10626@frame.com>), greg@gergle.UUCP writes:
>>Is it possible to do color imaging in NeWS?
>NeWS 1.1 uses a static color map. You get a close fit to the colors you request.

The merged server, on the other hand, will provide complete access to
the colormap if you want it.  It kind of has to, to provide X colormap
semantics, so there might as well be an access path from the NeWS side
of things, too.

None of this has anything to do with the original question of "How do
you get 256 colors in a window without losing the rest of the colors
on the screen".  In the general case, on a machine that doesn't provide
more than 8-bits of color and also doesn't provide multiple hardware
colormaps, you can't.

If you're REALLY clever (and willing to do a lot of work), you can
sometimes dig around in the hardware colormap and find out enough about
the colors on the screen at any given instant to build your own 256-entry
colormap that has all of those colors in the places where other programs
expect them to be, then install this map.  Of course, that requires
that your window system give you writeable colormap entries.

A side question: I read recently that the PEX implementation for X11
has been subcontracted to Sun (so much for Sun not supporting X!!).
Does anyone at Sun want to comment on whether there'll be some vaguely
compatible PHIGS+ interface in NeWS or the merged server, allowing
PEX-style 3-D graphics for people using a REAL window system?

--
 Matt Landau		   	    Riding shotgun down the avalanche
 mlandau@bbn.com