[comp.windows.news] Re : Display PS vs NeWS

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (12/17/88)

In article <2391@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:

 >> PostScript, on the other hand, is a de-facto standard, and to me, Display
 >Again complete SHEER IGNORANCE.  NeWS IS a Postscript *superset* -

 >I am sorry for the flame...but next time you post facts ... do a little
 >research first.  X/Display Postscript has alot of potential...but quite
 >simply (because NeWS is a superset of DP) X/NeWS has alot more potential.

Tsk, tsk.  He who lives by the, er, sword, dies by it, I suppose.  Do
you really know anything about Display PostScript?  Have you ever
looked up the word "superset"?

Please be careful what you say out there, folks.  There are lots of
opinions, and we want to share useful information, not post flames.
The Display PostScript's operator set and NeWS are intersecting sets,
where Red Book PostScript is roughly the area of intersection.  They
are completely different implementations, and differ in many other
ways, but it is incorrect as well as a trivialization to say that NeWS
is a superset of Display PostScript.

And also, Display PostScript has nothing to do with X windows, other
than the ability to ge integrated into it.  The NeXT machine does not
run X windows; it draws its windows with Display PostScript.

Sigh.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

ejf@well.UUCP (Erik James Freed) (12/18/88)

I think that what was meant by News being a 'superset' of Display Postscript
was that News includes higher level Window manager type abilities. This
assumes that other than that they cover the same functionality. (Which
I suspect is very debatable.)
	I hate it when these discussions get unpleasantly personal.

	Erik Freed
	ejf@well.uucp
	...pacbell!well!ejf

andy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Andrew Dwelly) (12/19/88)

In article <109@adobe.COM> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:

>And also, Display PostScript has nothing to do with X windows, other
>than the ability to ge integrated into it.  The NeXT machine does not
>run X windows; it draws its windows with Display PostScript.

Ahh, this is interesting.

I just received the "Display Postscript preliminary documentation" (thanks
Glenn), which I have so far only had a chance to glance at. What I did notice,
however, is that input does not seem to be well supported. I understand, from
following various comments in this forum that the reason is that DPS is really
only meant for output, and supposed to run -with- a windowing system.

So now I'm confused. Users of NeXT and Glenn, would you say DPS is a suitable
basis for creating window systems with the associated paraphernalia ? would you
claim that it is one component from several, making up a WISIWYG sort of
interface? More pointedly, how does DPS support interaction between the cursor
and "interface objects" ?

Andy

Andrew Dwelly
E.C.R.C.                                       UUCP: mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!andy
ArabellaStrasse 17 			       or    pyramid!ecrcvax!andy
D-8000 Muenchen 81, West Germany 	       UUCP Domain:  andy@ecrcvax.UUCP

[Bump, Crash ......
 Listen; who swears ?
 Christopher Robin has fallen down stairs.]