[comp.windows.news] informal survey

marshall@software.org (Eric Marshall) (01/06/89)

	I would like to conduct an informal survey to find out
how many people are using NeWS on a regular basis, and on what
platforms. I am interested in how many people are using NeWS
in your organization, and the manufacturer, model number and
operating system of the platform which you run it on. If you
would like to respond for your entire organization, please indicate
this, so that I can watch for other members of your organization
responding also.  I will summarize and post the results to the
net in a few weeks.

	Thanks in advance.

Eric Marshall
Software Productivity Consortium
SPC Building
2214 Rock Hill Road
Herndon, VA 22070
(703) 742-7237

CSNET: marshall@software.org
ARPANET: marshall%software.org@relay.cs.net

	I'm just an X programmer gone straight.

ciemo@bananapc.SGI.COM (Dave Ciemiewicz) (01/07/89)

In article <8901051630.AA26515@brillig.umd.edu>, marshall@software.org (Eric Marshall) writes:

> 	I would like to conduct an informal survey to find out
> how many people are using NeWS on a regular basis, and on what
> platforms. I am interested in how many people are using NeWS
> in your organization, and the manufacturer, model number and
> operating system of the platform which you run it on. If you
> would like to respond for your entire organization, please indicate
> this, so that I can watch for other members of your organization
> responding also.  I will summarize and post the results to the
> net in a few weeks.

The Silicon Graphics IRIS-4D series runs 4Sight which based on NeWS
with extensions for Graphics Library canvases.  As of software release
4D1-3.0, 4Sight (NeWS+...) replaced mex as the windowing system for
the IRIS-4Ds thus almost all IRIS-4D users are 4Sight (NeWS) users.

Silicon Graphics just announce shipment of it's 1000th Personal Iris
(the 4D/20) so all their users are 4Sight (NeWS) users.

I've been told by marketing that I can say conservatively 3000 IRIS-4Ds
of the other varieties (4D/50/60/70/80/1xx/2xx) are in use.  Most but
not all of these IRIS-4Ds are running release 4D1-3.0 with 4Sight.  I don't
have any breakdown of the particular models or what percentage have not
upgraded to 4D1-3.0.

The IRIS-4D operating system is IRIX - AT&T System V rel 2 derived with BSD
extensions.  Other IRIX extensions include a multiprocessing kernel
and NFS (as an option).

So, I'd (unofficially) say, there are 3000-4000 IRIS-4D 4Sight (NeWS) users
out there.

Personally, I use 4Sight (NeWS) on a IRIS-4D/70GT.
--

ciemo 	   (pronounced SEE-MO)			"Language is a virus"
Ciemiewicz (pronounced SI-MI-WITZ) 			--- Laurie Anderson