[comp.windows.news] SUG NeWS SIG Minutes

marilyn@erika.UUCP (Marilyn Kilinski) (01/10/89)

To: NeWS-makers@brillig.umd.edu
From: rutgers!unipress!pookie (Marilyn R. Kilinski)
Subject: SUG NeWS SIG Minutes

NeWS SIG Minutes

WHERE: 6th Annual Sun User Group Conference, Miami Beach, Florida

WHEN: Tuesday, 6 December, 2:30-4:30 p.m.

SUBMITTED BY: Marilyn R. Kilinski, NeWS SIG Secretary-by-Default, UniPress

WHAT HAPPENED:

The SIG convened at about 2:30 p.m.

Approximately 130 people showed up for the SIG.  Representing Sun, Steve
Messino (Corporate Marketing - NeWS) and Bruce Schwartz (Technical Services)
participated in the SIG; Tony Hoeber (OPENLOOK Product Manager) was also in
attendance.

Marilyn Kilinski from UniPress welcomed the group; speakers were as follows:

Mark Krieger, President of UniPress Software, gave a presentation on C2PS,
UniPress' new C-to-PostScript compiler.

Don Hopkins, University of Maryland, talked about NeWS-makers, the discussion
group he moderates on the net, and the SUG software exchange tape.

Hugh Daniel, Grasshopper Group, spoke about MacNews, which is NeWS for Mac IIs
running A/UX.

Rich Morin stood up and went off on a SCSI tangent.  He was shushed by Saul
Wold (Sun Micro ;=)

Maurice Balick, ArchiTec, discussed his company's product, OS/2 NeWS.

Steve Messino introduced himself to the group and indicated he would field
questions later in the SIG.

Bruce Schwartz gave a presentation on NeWS Draw, a NeWS draw program he had
written, and NeWS-on-Wire (NeWS running over serial lines).

A Q&A/discussion period then began, which lasted for an hour or so.  Topics
included:

	* Establishing NeWS more firmly by making it a window system that
	  runs on many machines and operating systems.  These included
	  Amiga, Mac, MS-DOS, NeXT.  Also, the idea of NeWS on an Amiga with
	  an IBM mainframe client.

	* NeWS Development Environment (NDE) Toolkit source will be available
	  to licensees, said Steve Messino.

	* Transputer-based workstations are a big thing in the U.K.; this
	  should be considered for NeWS ports.

	* Questions/comments for Steve Messino (smessino@sun.com, 415/336-2017)

		* NeWS needs to be better promoted by Sun's PR department;
	          there are a few technical articles about it, but never any
	          news items in the UNIX trade press.  X is much more visible.

		* Unbundle NeWS and make it free!  (It will be on the AT&T
		  Sys. V.4 tape, replied Steve.)

		* Steve said the NeWS community needs to produce as many ports
		  of/applications running under NeWS as possible.  His three
		  main points were:
			- Sun will work w/developers to jointly market their
			  NeWS products.
			- Leveraging staff and resources at Sun.
			- We need more NeWS applications!

		* Release date for X11/NeWS merge is 28 July 1989.  Release
	 	  date for NDE Toolkit is Fall 1989.

Other group discussion topics:

	* Has anyone thought about an X-to-NeWS compiler?

	* There aren't any development tools for NeWS!  (Sun is interested
	  is getting such tools from outside sources, said Steve.)

	* Political problems remain - X remains the windowing environment
	  of choice, so it's hard to make a good business decision by going
	  w/NeWS.

	* How NeWS fits into the business scheme of things - developers
	  and consultants spoke of their experience w/trying to sell
	  NeWS-based solutions to clients.

	* Two big problems from developers' point of view:  lack of PR for
	  NeWS, and NDE Toolkit's thrice-delayed Fall 89 availability (too
	  late).

	* Getting NeWS represented in the standards world - can we get this
	  to happen?

	* Piggybacking NeWS onto OPENLOOK as the development environment?

Meeting adjourned at 4:40 p.m. so we could go downstairs and listen to Bill
Joy.

SUBJECTIVE SUMMARY:  Last year, NeWS was very new, and much of the group
discussion centered on improving NeWS technically.  This year, business
issues (Sun backing NeWS better and how developers can succeed with
NeWS-based products) were the subject of much lively exchange.

NEXT MEETING: The NeWS SIG will meet again at the 7th Annual Sun User Group
Conference in Anaheim, December 1989.

-- Marilyn R. Kilinski, UniPress Software

rdm@cfcl.UUCP (Rich Morin) (01/10/89)

I feel that I must respond to Marilyn's analysis of my NeWS BOF presentation:

> Rich Morin stood up and went off on a SCSI tangent.  He was shushed by Saul
> Wold (Sun Micro ;=)

I was introduced at the BOF by Hugh Daniel, of Grasshopper Group.  This was
not accidental - I have been working closely with the Grasshopper Group for
the past several months.

Hugh and I share a vision of NeWS as a mechanism for controlling and linking
a wide variety of useful I/O devices.  My own contribution, /dev/scsi, allows
user-mode programs to talk to arbitrary SCSI devices.

We have already printed NeWS images on an Apple LaserWriter II SC, and have
also sent NeWS images successfully to a Mirus FilmPrinter.  Future software
will support the Apple Scanner and the General Computer Personal LaserPrinter.
We feel that this sort of I/O capability enhances the utility of NeWS and
empowers NeWS users.

I may not have been clear on the relationship between NeWS and /dev/scsi.  I
depended somewhat on the background information in Hugh's introduction, and
so the focus of my own presentation may not have been clear.  Certainly Saul
and Marilyn failed to see the connection.  Others probably did, as well.

In any event, my already short presentation (less than three minutes) was
indeed shortened further in response to Saul's remarks.  Persons wishing to
know more about /dev/scsi are invited to attend the planned BOF at Usenix in
San Diego.

P.S.	In contrast to the presentations made by UniPress and some other
	firms, my /dev/scsi presentation made no attempt to sell product.
	Indeed, /dev/scsi will be freely redistributable, since we would
	like it to be accepted as a standard.  ;-}
--

  _ o  _ |_     _ _   _   _ o  _          Canta Forda Computer Laboratory