[comp.windows.news] High-res bitmap from News

ajb@RETINA.MITRE.ORG (Alan J. Broder) (02/09/89)

I have an application which requires me to produce a full-page equivalent
of the 300-dpi bitmap which would be produced by a PostScript printer.
The people at Adobe told me that in fact, the Display PostScript on the
NeXT machine does this; the NeXT laser printer is not a PostScript printer,
rather it expects a pre-rasterized 300dpi raw bitmap which is produced
using Display PostScript on the NeXT CPU (with output to a bitmap file
rather than to a screen window).

My question is this: Is there any way for me to achieve the same result using
NeWS on a Sun ? That is, will NeWS allow me to render my postscript to a
buffer or a file (instead of the screen) at the equivalent of 300dpi
resolution ? If this is not possible, does anyone know of a postscript
printer simulator which will produce such an output ? (There are already
products on the market for PC's which will, in effect, convert your
"dumb" laser printer into a postscript printer by rasterizing on the
P.C.).

Please send replies direct to me as I am new on this list. I will
summarize if there is any interest.

Thanks

Alan J Broder
ajb@cornea.mitre.org    <------------ use this address
The MITRE Corporation
Image Processing Technology Center

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (02/10/89)

In article <8902081448.AA01383@retina.mitre.org>, ajb@RETINA.MITRE.ORG (Alan J. Broder) writes:

> I have an application which requires me to produce a full-page equivalent
> of the 300-dpi bitmap which would be produced by a PostScript printer.
>
> My question is this: Is there any way for me to achieve the same result using
> NeWS on a Sun ? That is, will NeWS allow me to render my postscript to a
> buffer or a file (instead of the screen) at the equivalent of 300dpi
> resolution ?

It occurs to me that using a retained canvas and setting the transformation
matrix to an appropriate matrix for 300dpi might work.  I haven't tried it
but it seems worth a shot.

--
	-Mark