[comp.windows.news] NeWS and Display PostScript

ric@rioja.ifs.umich.edu (Richard Campbell) (02/10/89)

What's the beef between Adobe and Sun?? I've just started reading
Adobe's Display PostScript System Reference manual and it sounds
like Adobe doesn't like Sun's NeWS system at all. In the manual's
Question and Answers section, Adobe proudly reports that
several OEMs are supporting DPS including NeXT, DEC, and IBM.
Then, on the *last* page, the question pops up, What about NeWS?
Adobe says that NeWS is an imaging model and window system instead
of DPS which is just an imaging model; that NeWS's imaging model
is not compatible with PostScript; that NeWS's extensions are not the
same thing as DPS; and that NeWS can't use the Adobe Type Library.

It was my understanding that Sun had committed to full
Postscript and DPS compatibility. Given this, and the fact that
DPS and NeWS are practically the same thing (DPS has .psw files;
NeWS .cps files, et alia, ad nauseum...), what happened between
the two companies to cause such low esteem and bad feelings? Why
the attempt by Adobe to effectivly scuttle NeWS???

sjs@jcricket.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) (02/10/89)

> What's the beef between Adobe and Sun?? I've just started reading
> Adobe's Display PostScript System Reference manual and it sounds
> like Adobe doesn't like Sun's NeWS system at all.

Indeed, Adobe and Sun should rally to what is certainly their common
cause.  Notwithstanding the IBM NeXTStep deal, Microsoft has been
making noises along the lines of "What's so great about PostScript?
The presentation manager does the same stuff."

Now, we all know that this is only true to a very rough approximation,
but PC types run leminglike whichever way Gates & Co. point.  But is
it all hype?  Decide for yourself: they are already talking about
developing their own page description language.

We risk seeing all of the benefits of this wonderful technology swept
away because of least-common-denominatorism of the very worst kind.
Let's face it, X and PM application developers will be very hesitant
to use DPS extensions because it will limit their products to those
users who run extended servers.  ONLY with NeWS can you say with
certainty "It's in there."  Only in NeWS can a programmer confidently
take advantage of the power of PostScript.

Now the problem is this:  What's in it for Adobe?

Let's examine some possibilities:

1) Sun goes fully DPS compatable in NeWS and licenses some
documentation, technology, or something from Adobe.

2) Sun licenses Adobe font format technology and consequently can use
Adobe fonts.  This makes NeWS better (much better), and creates a
whole new (very big) market for Adobe fonts.  Adobe fonts are very
fine indeed.

3) NeWS/DPS creates new markets for Adobe software products such as
Illustrator.

4) DPS display technology sells PostScript printers.

There ARE ways for both parties to benefit from ending this stupid
war.

If Adobe and Sun cannot come to some kind truce about PostScript and
don't start working together, both NeWS and eventually PostScript will
go down the drain.  This would be a damn shame.

Stan Switzer  sjs@ctt.bellcore.com
     "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things
      before breakfast."
     [Now, where DID I put that bagel?]

lchirica@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Laurian Chirica) (02/11/89)

> I've just started reading
> Adobe's Display PostScript System Reference manual

Could anyone please tell me how I can get a copy?

--
Laurian M. Chirica  (lchirica@polyslo.calpoly.edu)
Computer Science Department                ..!ucbvax!voder\

"Michael_Powers.Henr801M"@XEROX.COM (02/14/89)

>If Adobe and Sun cannot come to some kind truce about PostScript and
>don't start working together, both NeWS and eventually PostScript will
>go down the drain.  This would be a damn shame.

I don't think that Sun and Adobe will be able to "work together" outright.
The reason why Adobe has done so well with Postscript in the first place is
because of it's low profile. (What I mean by low profile is that: 1) it is
not a major hardware vendor 2) it is not allied directly with one
particular vendor and 3) it's a relatively small company). If Adobe were to
push NeWS or even appear to be pushing NeWS then I do believe that the OSF
members (who also happen to be OEMS of DPS) would be quite upset. Adobe
cannot afford that. They cannot alienate DEC, IBM, HP, and the whole PC
world just to gain the advantage of NeWS customers.

Personally I agree that it would be nice to have Adobe and Sun working
together rather than playing these political olympics. But it just is not
going to happen with the current client of OSFism and the workstation war
that is heating up.

Mike Powers

Xerox Corp.
powers.henr801m@xerox.com

"What's InterPress?" :)

stefan@unicads.UUCP (Stefan) (02/15/89)

In article <890213-155306-7860@Xerox>, "Michael_Powers.Henr801M"@XEROX.COM writes:
> >If Adobe and Sun cannot come to some kind truce about PostScript and
> >don't start working together, both NeWS and eventually PostScript will
> >go down the drain.  This would be a damn shame.
>
> I don't think that Sun and Adobe will be able to "work together" outright.
>
> [some reasons why not...]
>
> Personally I agree that it would be nice to have Adobe and Sun working
> together rather than playing these political olympics. But it just is not
> going to happen with the current client of OSFism and the workstation war
> that is heating up.
>
> Mike Powers

 Well, I don't happen to agree with Mike's perspective on this issue.
 I'll generalize here and say that the rank-and-file at Adobe Systems
 seem to bear no ill will towards Sun (indeed, you have only to look
 at their hardware :->). However, I don't think the same may be said
 about the views of "those in charge".

 Sun has made a number of attempts to get Adobe to pull the NeWS wagon
 together with them. All seem to have been met with disdain (if not
 legal threats). [disclaimer here - I have no knowledge of any overtures
 made in the last 7-8 months].

 The problem lies not with Sun, but with Adobe. I think there is a
 general perception at Sun that Adobe sees (saw?) NeWS as a threat to
 the future of PostScript (their lifeblood). When NeWS came along it
 represented a significant advance over "printer" PostScript. The
 extensions to PostScript that made it interactive seemed to set a
 whole new direction.

 That's the threat that Adobe perceives - the loss of the chance to
 guide the future direction of PostScript. I think it has little to
 do with OSF or their relationship to other companies (re Powers'
 comments).

 As long as NeWS is perceived by Adobe to threaten Adobe's control
 of the future direction of PostScript they will continue to put
 it down (as non-conforming, etc.). I know it's bullshit but what
 can you do with small minds?

 Stefan

--

 Stefan Fielding-Isaacs              Unicad, Boulder, Co.
 (303) 443-6961                      CAD/UIMS software

amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) (02/16/89)

stefan@unicads.UUCP (Stefan) writes:
    [ ... ]

     That's the threat that Adobe perceives - the loss of the chance to
     guide the future direction of PostScript. I think it has little to
     do with OSF or their relationship to other companies (re Powers'
     comments).

I think that given the relatively small size of Adobe, that they are
not entirely unjustified in this, but there also seems to be another
issue at work as well, and it's one that many other companies in this
industry, large and small, seem to have problems with.  It can be best
summed up in the phrase, "but that's not how we planned to use it!"
You can see it in the Display PostScript vs. NeWS debate.  Adobe's
position seems to be that PostScript *should not* be used to implement
a window system, even if it can be.  Apple has held a similar view
with regards to AppleTalk--for several years they hotly claimed that
AppleTalk *should not* be used for big networks, or for cheap TCP/IP
transport, or whatever, even though it works quite well for these
things.  They are finally reacting to market demand, but it's still
painfully slow going...

In a sense, the cleanliness of PostScript's design works against
Adobe.  Its very extensibility and flexibility means that it can be
used for things besides imaging, whether or not Adobe designed it that
way...

--
Amanda Walker			...!uunet!lts!amanda / lts!amanda@uunet.uu.net
			  InterCon, 11732 Bowman Green Drive, Reston, VA 22090

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (02/16/89)

Sigh.  I guess I have to jump into this a little bit....

In article <335@unicads.UUCP> stefan@unicads.UUCP (Stefan) writes:
>In article <890213-155306-7860@Xerox>, "Michael_Powers.Henr801M"@XEROX.COM writes:
>> >If Adobe and Sun cannot come to some kind truce about PostScript and
>> >don't start working together, both NeWS and eventually PostScript will
>> >go down the drain.  This would be a damn shame.
>>
>> I don't think that Sun and Adobe will be able to "work together" outright.
>>
>> [some reasons why not...]
>>
>> Personally I agree that it would be nice to have Adobe and Sun working
>> together rather than playing these political olympics. But it just is not
>> going to happen with the current client of OSFism and the workstation war
>> that is heating up.
>>
>> Mike Powers

I basically liked this message.  Our business is to make our customers
happy, whoever they may be.  We don't have the luxury of being able to
develop technology on the off chance that somebody within the user
community might use it, because (as it was pointed out) we are not
a hardware company.  We depend on people licensing the technology from
us.

> Sun has made a number of attempts to get Adobe to pull the NeWS wagon
> together with them. All seem to have been met with disdain (if not
> legal threats). [disclaimer here - I have no knowledge of any overtures
> made in the last 7-8 months].

Adobe has also made a number of attempts to get Sun to license Display
PsotScript from us, all of which have met with, well, non-action.  I
certainly wouldn't use a word like "disdain" without having been at the
meeting myself :-)  The disagreements hinge at least in part on the
controversy over source code.  Adobe is a system software technology
company, and Sun is a hardware and software company.  It would not make
sense for us to license something from them just to sell back to DEC :-)

> The problem lies not with Sun, but with Adobe. I think there is a
> general perception at Sun that Adobe sees (saw?) NeWS as a threat to
> the future of PostScript (their lifeblood). When NeWS came along it
> represented a significant advance over "printer" PostScript. The
> extensions to PostScript that made it interactive seemed to set a
> whole new direction.

Adobe is realistically not in a position to license NeWS, are they?  We
have a proprietary implementation of a PostScript interpreter dating
from 1985, and are well known as its inventor.  What would you have us
do differently?

Adobe has already licensed Display PostScript to IBM, DEC, NeXT, and
Sytex, and probably will license it to many more.  It is our own
technology and it is not positioned directly against NeWS.  NeWS is
different, and although we perhaps could have copied it, licensed it
from Sun, or been compatible with it in other ways, it would not have
met our customers' needs.  If it would have, our customers could have
used NeWS to begin with.  The incompatibilities are due to different
ideas as to how it should be done, and are not "deliberately" different
to force incompatibility.  That approach doesn't lend itself to good
technology, which is what we try to develop.

> That's the threat that Adobe perceives - the loss of the chance to
> guide the future direction of PostScript. I think it has little to
> do with OSF or their relationship to other companies (re Powers'
> comments).

Adobe defined the PostScript language, and we will continue to do so.
So-called "clones" which implement additional verbs will always exist.
[And I'd rather not take a position on whether or not NeWS is a clone;
the statement is still generically true].  And new PostScript language
procedures can be defined at any moment, even by user-level programs.
Realistically, I don't think there is a threat to the future direction
of PostScript.  We are, naturally, worrying about the future direction
of our products.  PostScript is our product.  It is not like FORTRAN,
which is just a programming language that has many implementations.
[No flames about this, please].

> As long as NeWS is perceived by Adobe to threaten Adobe's control
> of the future direction of PostScript they will continue to put
> it down (as non-conforming, etc.). I know it's bullshit but what
> can you do with small minds?

We don't put NeWS down, we have just implemented a different strategy.
We do try to be careful about the terminology, and we don't like people
to call it "PostScript", because that is our registered trademark.  If
you call it NeWS and it works for you, then we are very happy with
that, because it indeed supports the spirit of the PostScript language.

Display PostScript is now a product.  NeWS is a product, I think.  They
are perhaps different solutions to the same problem, but they are not
compatible at the moment.  Of the two paths to compatibility, we would
simply like to see Sun license Display PostScript from us.

Of course, I hate to participate directly in these controversies, but I
do want our position to reasonably well understood.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

chan@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (02/17/89)

> Display PostScript is now a product.

More info please. It is available as a porting base from Adobe? From
particular manufacturers for their machines?

The impression I got from the DEC/Adobe presentation at the recent
X Conference was that it was not yet a product.

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins
			chan@hpfcmi.HP.COM