[comp.windows.news] InterViews -> NeWS port

scp@sfi.santafe.edu ("Stephen C. Pope") (03/08/89)

Hi!  As I'm new to the mailing list, I hope I'm not asking
the *dumbest* question possible, but has anyone yet
"ported" InterViews to run under NeWS instead of X?

We're involved in developing a rather large application
utilizing window-based interactive menus and graphical
output.  Some rough NeWS code is already in place.
However, we would like to move our code to a wide
variety of machines, many of which do not run NeWS.
In order to keep the development work to a minimum,
we'd like to hide the window system behind an interface
such as InterViews providing the usual windows/Scenes,
Items/Interactors.

We are not looking for an exact duplication of X-styled
InterViews under NeWS, but rather a "functional equivalent"
- one way of getting stuff on the screen regardless of
the underlying window system, so we can stop worrying
about the window system we're running under.

Although I'm little familiar with InterViews/X, I do
recognize that the event handling is quite different
than in NeWS.  It does appear that with a thin layer
between InterViews and the client code, one can
completely hide events from the client, and replace it
with a psuedo-stream communications interface.

Thanks,

Stephen C. Pope
The Santa Fe Institute
scp@santafe.edu

ramani@PATIENCE.STANFORD.EDU (Ramani Pichumani) (03/08/89)

> Hi!  As I'm new to the mailing list, I hope I'm not asking
> the *dumbest* question possible, but has anyone yet
> "ported" InterViews to run under NeWS instead of X?

I went to a demonstration of InterViews given last year by Mark Linton
(its creator) and he mentioned that someone had ported InterViews to
NeWS but didn't say who.  What I would suggest you do is send him
e-mail (linton@lurch.stanford.edu) and ask him for the latest details.

Ramani

janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) (03/08/89)

InterViews is a very nice system, but it is still just getting started.

I would suggest porting the Andrew Toolkit to NeWS, and using that.
Andrew is a system from the Information Technology Center at CMU,
distributed free by IBM and CMU, on the X11R3 tape.  It is an extensive
object-oriented system with hundreds of useful classes (including major
applications such as a mail system, a multi-media extensible editor,
a typescript, a graphical workstation monitor-console, a help tool)
that is based on a good model of a virtual window system, along with
two ports to real window systems, WM and X11.  All applications talk
in terms of the virtual window system, so that different window systems
can be used by the same application.  Code can be dynamically loaded,
so that the appropriate window system class can be selected at run-time.

You would have to provide the port to NeWS, but it would be a minor job
compared to the wealth of ready tools you would receive.  The sources
for Andrew are distributed on the X11R3 tape under contrib/toolkits/andrew.
for more information (requests to "info-andrew-request@andrew.cmu.edu"),
or try sending mail to ???? (perhaps postmaster@andrew.cmu.edu?).

Bill