[comp.windows.news] Thanks to all who responded

callahan@gondor.cs.psu.edu (Paul B. Callahan) (03/18/89)

In article <MONTNARO.89Mar16224308@sprite.steinmetz.ge.com> <montanaro@sprite.crd.ge.com> (Skip Montanaro) writes:
>There are three places in the code where you neglected to place space around
>either "=*" or "=&". This results in an ambiguity detected by Sun's C
>compiler. It can't tell if you are using an assignment operator followed by
>* or &, or the old-fashioned versions of *= and &=. I suspect you weren't
>using a Sun for treeedit development.

Yes. This would produce the problems that occurred with compilation.
Thanks for pointing it out.  I could not find these strings in my
program because I did a grep for "*=" and "&=" instead of "=*" and "=&"
when I looked at the error file that was sent to me.  (Line numbers
didn't seem to correspond for some reason).  I'll have to
make a permanent mental note of this problem.

Oddly enough, I did do the development on a Sun.  And I received many
replies from people who got it to work on a Sun.  It was probably just
a different revision of the Sun compiler.

Finally, thanks to everyone who responded to my posting.

				   --Paul