[comp.windows.news] Application development using Microsoft Windows

chow@iris.ucdavis.edu (John L. Chow) (04/04/89)

I am in the process of making the decision of using Microsoft
Windows as a standard user interface platform for all application
development under MSDOS.  However, I have heard mixed feelings about
MS Windows from a few people.  Some think that it is a very complex
windowing environment to program in.  Others don't think it is going
to be a industrial standard for PC DOS environment.  While some
like the predefined and consistent user interface environment, there
are others who think it is too limited and not flexible if you want
to create your own user interface environment.

Could some of you please give me your suggestion/advise based on your
experience with MS Windows?  In addition, I would also like to know:

1. What is the future of MS Windows as a standard for DOS?
2. What are the best reference books on programming MS Windows?
3. Any comments about Glockenspiel's CommonView using C++ for Windows
   programming?
4. How complex is it for a normal C programmer to learn and use it for
   a major program development?  Is taking a class to learn about MS
   Windows a good idea?  Who offers the best class?
5. What are other alternatives (i.e., NewWave) if MS Windows is not
   recommended?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.

-- John Chow
   chow@iris.ucdavis.edu

pdavid@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Paul C. David) (04/05/89)

In article <3884@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> chow@iris.ucdavis.edu (John L. Chow) writes:
>I am in the process of making the decision of using Microsoft
>1. What is the future of MS Windows as a standard for DOS?
	This borders on being a religious issue.  From a
	stylistic point of view, it is said to be very
	similar to the OS/2 Presentation Manager development
	environment.  There are even software tools to
	help out on this.
>2. What are the best reference books on programming MS Windows?
	Definitely "Programming Windows" by Petzold.
	Brought to you by the folks at Microsoft Press.
>3. Any comments about Glockenspiel's CommonView using C++ for Windows
>   programming?
	Rumbling are that Microsoft will support it.
	Also that porting to a different windowing
	environment is a matter of setting a new flag at
	compile time.  So far X-Windows and NeWS are
	supported.  Many feel that Macintosh will follow
	suit (no pun intended).
>4. How complex is it for a normal C programmer to learn and use it for
>   a major program development?  Is taking a class to learn about MS
>   Windows a good idea?  Who offers the best class?
	If you've got the money, Microsoft University
	puts out a series of videos, with workbooks.
	Otherwise, unless UCD teaches a class in
	Windowing Environments, you may get by just
	studying Petzold'd book.  Experience in any
	Windowing system will give you a head start.
--
Paul C. David		pdavid@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
California Polytechic State University, San Luis Obispo

chow@iris.ucdavis.edu (John L. Chow) (04/07/89)

In  your response to my questions posted in comp.windows.news:

  > From: chris@goedel.uucp (Chris White)
  > Newsgroups: comp.windows.news
  > Subject: Re: Application development using Microsoft Windows
  > Date: 5 Apr 89 11:39:22 GMT
  >
  > Really John, asking this newsgroup for advice on MS Windows
  > is like going into a Porshe dealership and asking them whether you should
  > buy a Yugo.

Not only did I find your answer inappropriate, it was not humorous either!
I posted the questions simply trying to find out if relevant readers would have
answers to them.  If you didn't think you had the answer to my questions,
I would assume you not answer them.  People who read and use the NET are
generally engaging in higher education. I think that they should have the
maturity not to insult others when there is disagreement.

Frankly Chris, I do think your response very amusing!

-- John

jbw@bucsb.UUCP (jbw) (04/09/89)

chow@iris.ucdavis.edu (John L. Chow) writes:
>In  your response to my questions posted in comp.windows.news:
>  > From: chris@goedel.uucp (Chris White)
>  > Really John, asking this newsgroup for advice on MS Windows
>  > is like going into a Porshe dealership and asking them whether you should
>  > buy a Yugo.
>
>Not only did I find your answer inappropriate, it was not humorous
>either!

However, it was humorous, and many of us enjoyed it.

>I posted the questions simply trying to find out if relevant readers
>would have answers to them.  If you didn't think you had the answer
>to my questions, I would assume you not answer them.

So then, Chris may only post if it is of direct benefit to you?  The
enjoyment he brought to the rest of us doesn't count?

--
Joe Wells
INTERNET: jbw%bucsf.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu    IP: [128.197.10.201]

ken@capone.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (04/09/89)

In article <3903@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> chow@iris.ucdavis.edu (John L. Chow) writes:

>In  your response to my questions posted in comp.windows.news:
>
>  >
>  > Really John, asking this newsgroup for advice on MS Windows
>  > is like going into a Porshe dealership and asking them whether you should
>  > buy a Yugo.
>  >

>Not only did I find your answer inappropriate, it was not humorous either!
>I posted the questions simply trying to find out if relevant readers would have
>answers to them.  If you didn't think you had the answer to my questions,
>I would assume you not answer them.  People who read and use the NET are
>generally engaging in higher education. I think that they should have the
>maturity not to insult others when there is disagreement.
>
>Frankly Chris, I do think your response very amusing!
>
>-- John

Frankly, I would imagine most people who read the NeWS newsgroup DID
find it funny.  What ISN'T funny is someone like YOU indiscriminately
cross-posting to a bunch of newsgroups that in NO WAY relate to your
question.  Just to make it VERY clear, asking MS Windows questions in
the Sun NeWS newsgroup does not meet you criteria of reaching
"relevant readers", even tho there will certainly be knowledgeable
people here.  Chris was very nicely making the point that your note
was not appropriate, and I think you should have the "maturity not to
insult..." when you are wrong.  As far as "higher education" (what WAS
the relevance of that, by the way), please read news.announce.newusers
so that you will be educated as to what is proper net behaviour
concerning cross-posting.

Oh, and having been exposed to both NeWS and Windows...the
Porsche/Yugo analogy was appropriate...

	...ken
	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl, unmvax,
	ccastks@gitvm1.bitnet	ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

chow@iris.ucdavis.edu (John L. Chow) (04/11/89)

To all,

Please let me clarify one thing that would help us all to
settle down our misunderstanding on the recent article postings.

When I was getting ready to post my MS Windows questions initially,
I was suggested by someone to include comp.windows.news (along with
comp.windows.ms and comp.windows.misc).  At the time, it appeared
to us (and somewhat misinterpreted) that comp.windows.news was a
'news' group for windows and not the SUN's 'NeWS' group.
 ^^^^                                       ^^^^

I had no intention to generate all the confusion to the readers in
that group and most certainly did not try to cross-posting.

My apology for the misunderstanding.

-- John

P.S. I like SUN's NeWS too! :-)

"Charles_Nail.WBST129"@XEROX.COM (04/14/89)

Chris,

I am not aware of NeWS being available for 386's in general; my
understanding the Sun 386i is the 386 system licensed to use the package.
If I am wrong, will you please set me straight?

Charlie

benson@rlgvax.UUCP (Paul Benson) (04/14/89)

>>generally engaging in higher education. I think that they should have the

I feel as though this discussion has been educational.
Bob.