[comp.windows.news] NeWS for 386's

abh0@bunny.UUCP (Andrew Hudson) (04/06/89)

I read in some hi-tech trade-journal tabloid that Sun will be
licensing NeWS source to third party vendors. Does anyone else
have details? Is there any central organization which coordinates
who does what to NeWS? I would be interested in seeing a comprehensive
list of vendors who supply NeWS, for what hardware platforms, and with
what requirements. Even better would be a consumer's advocate kind
of comparison, benchmarks and bugs report.

Comments? Criticisms?

- Andrew Hudson
GTE Laboratories
abh0@gte.com

mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) (04/07/89)

In article <6759@bunny.UUCP> abh0@bunny.UUCP (Andrew Hudson) writes:
>I read in some hi-tech trade-journal tabloid that Sun will be
>licensing NeWS source to third party vendors. Does anyone else
>have details? Is there any central organization which coordinates
>who does what to NeWS? I would be interested in seeing a comprehensive
>list of vendors who supply NeWS, for what hardware platforms, and with
>what requirements. Even better would be a consumer's advocate kind
>of comparison, benchmarks and bugs report.
>
>Comments? Criticisms?
>
>- Andrew Hudson
>GTE Laboratories
>abh0@gte.com

sun already licenses NeWS. they always have as far back as i can remember.
i'm sure the merged X/NeWS will be too.

For more detailed info sun is the best source, but i will will try to
answer any questions if you need a specific answer.

BTW, NeWS is  already on a whole bunch of machines (Mac's, Silicon
graphics, HP's, 386's, etc..).  The list is really quite extensive.
There are NeWS' out there for third party boards for suns too. We use
Parallax's graphics boards in our 3/160's with "PNeWS" which has a set
of LIVE (and still)video sampling extensions which are AWESOME.
Parallax did a really good job and it did'nt take them long at all to
do the port, I don't remember exactly how long it took them but it was
something on the order of 2-3  months.  Right now I'm watching "Top
Gun"  in one NeWS window and typing this article in another. OH !!
Wait a minute!! here comes Kelly McGillis..   Yow! :-)

-mike.

michael@nyit.UUCP (Michael Gwilliam) (04/08/89)

In article <28981@wlbr.EATON.COM>, mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) writes:
> BTW, NeWS is  already on a whole bunch of machines (Mac's, Silicon
> graphics, HP's, 386's, etc..).  The list is really quite extensive.
I'm interested in NeWS, and have written applications in it.  However,
the attitude around here is that it's not available on very many
machines where X windows is.  If someone could provide a list of
machines or other practical information on NeWS.  I'd be grateful.

michael

messino@SUN.COM (Steven Messino) (04/09/89)

Hello all,

I am the Licensing Manager for Sun's Window and Graphics products.  If you
would like to know more about source licensing NeWS or X11/NeWS you can reach
my office at 415 336 2017.  I will look forward to hearing from you.

SM

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (04/09/89)

In article <352@nyit.UUCP>, michael@nyit (Michael Gwilliam) writes:

>I'm interested in NeWS, and have written applications in it.  However,
>the attitude around here is that it's not available on very many
>machines where X windows is.  If someone could provide a list of
>machines or other practical information on NeWS.  I'd be grateful.

Another issue is the number of machines the client libraries
have been ported to. For instance, I ported the client code
to a vax, so I can use psterm and NeWS/emacs on a vax.

Has anyone done this with a convex? I started this and when I had to
research the format of the floating point code, I postposted the effort.

Another topics: Sorry, but I forgot where I saw this, but....
Some company is selling a NeWS *clone* to run on a MS-DOS machine.

I want a window environment at home that lets me develop
and debug tools that can be used standalone or thru a modem to my
machine at work. NeWS is the obvious solution, but I don't know
of anyone with practical experience. Do you have to use SLIP?
Does anyone have any tools? I am aware of Bruce Schwartz's NeWSline
program.

Does anyone have any experience using NeWS as a remote window system
over a 2400 baud modem?

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett@steinmetz.ge.com>

pete@relay.NixCtc.de (Pete Delaney) (04/10/89)

In article <93@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
> Do you have to use SLIP?
Unless your working for the Government and required to migrate to OSI
in the near future, I think NeWS/TCP/IP/SLIP is a reasonable approach.
For the Government/OSI folks it would likeley be non-conformant to run NeWS/TP0/CONS/X25, I suppose they are suppose to use ODA over the OSI
stack for this kind of stuff.

> Does anyone have any tools? I am aware of Bruce Schwartz's NeWSline
> program.
What protocol stack does that use?

> Does anyone have any experience using NeWS as a remote window system
> over a 2400 baud modem?

I tried but couldn't get support from Neighboring System Administrators
who are sold on X11.  Any one want to connect up over TCP/IP/XNI/X25?
I've noticed that xterm uses about twice as many packets as a rlogin
session, and that rlogin uses about twice as many packets as a nterm
session.  So over 2400 baud modems NeWS might perform as well as X11
over a 9600 baude modem.

Pete Delaney - Nixdorf UCC	| pete@NIXCTC.DE		Prefered Addr
Loffel Strasse 3		| pyramid!nixctc!pete		UUCP from Calf
7000 Stuttgart 70		| pete@RELAY.HUJI.AC.IL		Backup Address
West Germany			| Phone: +49 (711) 7685-128

"Charles_Nail.WBST129"@XEROX.COM (04/15/89)

I read similar info:

ISC and Sun announced an agreement in February that ISC will be licensed to
sell NeWS and SunView to parties running on the SPARC chip.

Are you aware of any other sources?  Any for 386's?

Charlie Nail
Xerox Corporation
(716)-422-4588

mh@wlbr.EATON.COM (Mike Hoegeman) (04/15/89)

In article <890410-132543-4946@Xerox> "Charles_Nail.WBST129"@XEROX.COM writes:
>Chris,
>
>I am not aware of NeWS being available for 386's in general; my
>understanding the Sun 386i is the 386 system licensed to use the package.
>If I am wrong, will you please set me straight?
>
>Charlie

I know for sure there is NeWS for 386's under OS/2 , it will also run
with 80286'es . I think you need and EGA and a multisync type monitor , I
would think 4 meg of memory is needed too. the company who makes OS/2
NeWS is imagesoft. here's there phone # 800-245-8840

-mike

doc%suntan.West@jalapeno.UUCP (Tom Dockery) (04/16/89)

In <93@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, Bruce Barnett writes:

> Another topics: Sorry, but I forgot where I saw this, but....
> Some company is selling a NeWS *clone* to run on a MS-DOS machine.

The company is Technology Application Group in Los Alamitos CA.  The
product is call NeWScript, and the contact I have is Robert McGill,
(213) 430-9792.

They demoed it at Uniforum in San Francisco, and while it lacked some
communications capabilities, it was quite impressive.  They do plan to
extend the communications by late summer.

Tom Dockery
...sun!suntan!fajita!doc

Market Focus Technologies