[comp.windows.news] Athena vs. Open Look vs. DEC Windows vs. Motif vs. PM ???

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (05/18/89)

In comp.windows.x (<886@osf.OSF.ORG>), dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
>We will make Motif generally available in July.  Then we will continue
>to offer source licenses for $1000 (the purpose being for vendors to
>port it to their equipment), binary licenses (for ISVs) and runtime
>licenses (for finished products) on a sliding scale, and university
>site licenses also for $1000.

Good heavens!  OSF, the Saviour of Software, Defender of the Weak from
the Evil Giants at Sun and AT&T, who actually want to *charge money*
for their window system, deciding to *license* Motif, for *cash*?
With *runtime licenses* yet!  Next they'll be moving their headquarters
to Mountain View! :-) :-)
--
 Matt Landau			Oblivion gallops closer,
 mlandau@bbn.com		    favoring the spur, sparing the rein.