[comp.windows.news] NeWS For VaxStations

kgschlueter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) (05/12/89)

Does anyone know if NeWS has been ported to a VaxStation or MicroVax?

If it has been done, info regarding availability and pricing (particularly
research/educational pricing) would be appreciated.

Kevin Schlueter
Computer Graphics Lab
University of Waterloo

kgschlueter@cgl.waterloo.edu

steve@umiacs.UMD.EDU (05/15/89)

   There's some port of NeWS to the VAXstation QVSS display, for some really
old version of Ultrix, if I remember correctly.  It comes with the NeWS 1.1
sources, as part of the reference ports.  There's not necessarily any
support for more recent Ultrix (or true-blue BSD), and no support for more
interesting displays (i.e., the display on the DECstation 3100).  Get the
sources from Sun; they cost $1000 to universities.  Better yet, wait for
the X11/NeWS release, and then get the sources to *that*, if Sun makes
them available.

   If someone does a DECstation port, I'd love to hear about it.  There's
a few people here (including myself) who have thought about doing a DS3100
port, but thinking's about all that anyone here has done...

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve@mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (05/16/89)

In article <8905132111.AA19260@fnord.umiacs.UMD.EDU> steve@umiacs.UMD.EDU writes:

>   There's some port of NeWS to the VAXstation QVSS display, for some really
>old version of Ultrix, if I remember correctly.  It comes with the NeWS 1.1
>sources, as part of the reference ports.  There's not necessarily any
>support for more recent Ultrix (or true-blue BSD), and no support for more
>interesting displays (i.e., the display on the DECstation 3100).  Get the
>sources from Sun; they cost $1000 to universities.  Better yet, wait for
>the X11/NeWS release, and then get the sources to *that*, if Sun makes
>them available.

Yes, the sources you get from Sun are for Ultrix 2.2 (2.something).  Working
with Los Alamos National Laboratory (Group MEE-10), I was able to get NeWS
running on a VS2000 (QVSS display only).  I also started to play with
a DS3100 port, but real work got in the way.  Before I dropped it, though,
I was able to get NeWS to compile but not run.  I was getting a seg fault
BEFORE it even got the the good stuff (the graphics).

From experience we (UNM) have with the DS3100, I think my problem is
as a result of the DS3100 (MIPS) compiler rather than the NeWS source,
though I did not REALLY have time to track the problem down to see if
Sun had done something that was not kosher.

>   If someone does a DECstation port, I'd love to hear about it.  There's
>a few people here (including myself) who have thought about doing a DS3100
>port, but thinking's about all that anyone here has done...

I WISH that someone would commercially make NeWS available for Dec machines,
and cheap.  I feel NeWS has A LOT to offer, but with "free" X, things are
not looking very good.

>	-Steve
---
W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806		e-mail: cyrus@pprg.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Parallel Processing Research Group
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (05/18/89)

In article <23810@pprg.unm.edu>, cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) writes:

> Yes, the sources you get from Sun are for Ultrix 2.2 (2.something).  Working
> with Los Alamos National Laboratory (Group MEE-10), I was able to get NeWS
> running on a VS2000 (QVSS display only).  I also started to play with
> a DS3100 port, but real work got in the way.  Before I dropped it, though,
> I was able to get NeWS to compile but not run.  I was getting a seg fault
> BEFORE it even got the the good stuff (the graphics).
>
> From experience we (UNM) have with the DS3100, I think my problem is
> as a result of the DS3100 (MIPS) compiler rather than the NeWS source,
> though I did not REALLY have time to track the problem down to see if
> Sun had done something that was not kosher.

The problem is that NeWS assumes that 26 bits is enough for the pointer
(offset) from the object to the object body.  Since the MIPS loader
chooses to place the data segment at 0x10000000, you need 28 bits.

There is a flag to our (SGI's) MIPS loader, -D, that lets you put the
data segment somewhere else.  If it works then one solution is to move
the data segment down but beware of the shared libraries.
Our ld(1) man page says -D is "machine dependent and may not work on all
implementations".   It may not even be a workable solution on ours.  -D
didn't exist when I first ported NeWS to the IRIS.  I was faced with a
couple of ugly choices:  increase the object structure size or OR in the
unchanging high bits of the address.  I chose the latter.

--
	-Mark

jnuss@perry.prime.com (Jeremy Nussbaum) (05/19/89)

In article <33046@sgi.SGI.COM> msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) writes:
>The problem is that NeWS assumes that 26 bits is enough for the pointer
>(offset) from the object to the object body.  Since the MIPS loader
>chooses to place the data segment at 0x10000000, you need 28 bits.
>There is a flag to our (SGI's) MIPS loader, -D, that lets you put the
>data segment somewhere else. ... ugly choices:  increase the object
>structure size or OR in the unchanging high bits of the address.
>  I chose the latter.

Gnu emacs had the same  problem with the mlisp
interpreter  on the IBM RT, as well as on the SGI
mips based WS. The solution they chose was also to
OR in the start of the data segment into  the
pointer.  In e.g. 18.51, see the lisp.h file where
the pointer  extraction is or'ed with DATA_SEG_BITS
if necessary.