[comp.windows.news] books on NeWS

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (08/08/88)

A NeWS book will be published later this year, probably around the time Sun
releases combined NeWS/X11.  It is by the architect of NeWS, Jim Gosling, and
two others.

aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) (05/16/89)

Are there any books written that are useful for learning NeWS?  I've
seen the postscript series, but how about any that are specifically
for NeWS?

thanks in advance,

Dan Haug
Internet: haug@austin.lockheed.com
uucp:     ut-emx!lad-shrike!aihaug

rudolf@neptune.uucp (Jim Rudolf) (05/16/89)

In article <265@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM> aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:
>Are there any books written that are useful for learning NeWS?...

Funny you should ask...I've been calling Springer-Verlag about every 2
weeks trying to get the release date for "The NeWS Book", by Arden,
Gosling, and Rosenthal.  Today they told me it has been rescheduled for
release in August '89.  Aaauuuggghhh!!!  I've been waiting for this book
ever since I first heard about it last year.  Oh well...guess I'll have
to go back and study the lite*.ps files again!! :-)

Jim Rudolf

Internet: rudolf@oce.orst.edu                 "All opinions herein are mine"
UUCP: {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!oce.orst.edu!rudolf

Sandeep Mehta@bebop (Sandeep Mehta) (05/16/89)

In article <265@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM>, aihaug@AUSTIN (Daniel A Haug) writes:
>Are there any books written that are useful for learning NeWS?  I've
>seen the postscript series, but how about any that are specifically
>for NeWS?

The NeWS Book by Arden, Gosling and Rosenthal, Springer Verlag will be
available from August 25, 89. ISBN 0-387-96915-2. You can call Springer @
1-800-SPRINGER for more info.

This book sounds more like a reference instead of an intro.

sandeep
--
Sandeep Mehta                                       ...to be or not to bop ?
uunet!philabs!bebop!sxm                             sxm@philabs.philips.com

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (05/17/89)

In article <265@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM> aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:
>Are there any books written that are useful for learning NeWS?...

The Autumn 88 issue of Sun Technology has some interesting
examples of NeWS programming.

Also, I just got my copy of "Inside PostScript", available from
	Systems of Merritt, Inc.
	2551 Old Dobbin Drive East
	Mobile, Alabama, 36695
	(205) 660-1240,
	$37.50. + $3.50 shipping

It discusses the internals of PostScript, as determined by someone
examing the engine from the outside (i.e. not based on Adobe documentation).

The book
	"documents the internal procedures and structure of Adobe's
PotsScript interpreter showing programmers the techniques used by
Adobe to control PostScript printers. Detailed discussion of error
handling, printer control, job execution and file I/O are a few of the
topics presented."

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!crdgw1.ge.com!barnett barnett@crdgw1.UUCP

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (05/17/89)

> In article <265@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM> aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:
> >Are there any books written that are useful for learning NeWS?...

USENIX has a pair of tutorials, one each for PostScript (an intro) and
NeWS.  They're arranged so that you can either take the [more advanced]
NeWS tutorial on a Tuesday, or if you're a masochist you can start from
zero with the PostScript tutorial on Monday and come out of that into the
NeWS tutorial on Tuesday.  June 12 and 13, in Baltimore.
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...Relax...don't worry...have a homebrew.

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (05/18/89)

In article <52543@philabs.Philips.Com>, Sandeep Mehta@bebop (Sandeep Mehta) writes:
> This book sounds more like a reference instead of an intro.

The NeWS book is definitely not a reference book.  If it's anything it's
an introduction though I still learned a few things from it.

I was one of the reviewers.

--
	-Mark

Sandeep Mehta@bebop (Sandeep Mehta) (05/18/89)

In article <33050@sgi.SGI.COM>, msc@ramoth (Mark Callow) writes:
>In article <52543@philabs.Philips.Com>, Sandeep Mehta@bebop (Sandeep Mehta) writes:
>> This book sounds more like a reference instead of an intro.
>>

>The NeWS book is definitely not a reference book.  If it's anything it's
>an introduction though I still learned a few things from it.
>
>I was one of the reviewers.

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was quoting the description I have
from Springer Verlag. It says, and I quote: "...this book is *the* reference
for every programmer and system designer who wants to design software on
the basis of NeWS".

So much for my trusting publishers' descriptions :-(

sandeep
--

dshr@SUN.COM (David Rosenthal) (05/20/89)

> This book sounds more like a reference instead of an intro.

Wrong.  It wouldn't have been smart to go to all that effort
to reproduce the "NeWS Reference Manual" you get from Sun,
would it?  It has lots of step-by-step examples and background
(and enough reference material to let you understand them) but
it isn't a substitute for the manual (or the Adobe books).

	David.

dwiggins@ashtate.A-T.COM (Don Dwiggins) (05/23/89)

> Funny you should ask...I've been calling Springer-Verlag about every 2
> weeks trying to get the release date for "The NeWS Book", by Arden,
> Gosling, and Rosenthal.  Today they told me it has been rescheduled for
> release in August '89.  Aaauuuggghhh!!!

I saw that book last week in the Springer booth at the IEEE Software
Engineering Conference.  It may have been a pre-pub copy; the salescritter
wasn't around, and I didn't get back.  When I get unpacked, I'll check the
"titles on display" listing.  In the meantime, maybe it'd be worth beating
on them yet again.

Good luck,
Don Dwiggins			"I love it when a plan comes together!"
Ashton-Tate, Inc.
dwiggins@ashtate.uucp