[comp.windows.news] Screen corruption on 3/60C

cleon@walt.cc.utexas.edu (455618606 mcnaught) (07/18/89)

Greetings, fellow NeWS buffs.

Where I work, we have a color Sun 3/60 on our network. It is the 60C model,
which has an extra bit plane for text, as well as 8 for color graphics. I love
the machine, and NeWS runs great, except for the following problem:

When the network is loaded down, one sometimes gets the familiar "NFS server
xxx not responding still trying ... NFS server xxx ok" messages. These only
cause trouble at one point in time -- while NeWS is loading, before the console
window comes up. The message is written directly into the *text* bitplane,
which overlays the color planes. It then stays where it is. Since NeWS knows
nothing about this extra bitplane, anything it draws under that message is
hidden, and cleaning up the desktop has no effect. Today it happened three
times in a row. The only solution I know is to quit NeWS and restart, with no
gaurantee that the same thing won't happen again.

I see two possible ways to fix this problem.
  1) Suppress ALL console output while NeWS is loading.
  2) Fix the "Repaint" option so it gets rid of the text bitplane.

If anyone can help me with this problem, either by 1) or 2), or a 3) that I
haven't considered, please email me at either of the two addresses in my
signature. I will be happy to summarize anything useful to the net.

Thanks in advance!

Doug McNaught   Physics    University of Texas at Austin
                Programmer   UT Institute for Geophysics
cleon@walt.cc.utexas.edu         doug@utig.ig.utexas.edu
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,|-D. Gilmour
 Tounge-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I"

krempel@netjam.Sun.COM (Henry Krempel) (07/19/89)

To fix your color screen after some error message has "missed the console"
use the Unix command:

switcher -n

This toggles your dual framebuffer back to the way it should be.
Henry B. J. Krempel	<krempel@sun.com>
Sun Microsystems MS 16-08
2550 Garcia Avenue
Mountain View, California 94043

david@sun.com (Dial A Gay Atheist 312-255-2960) (07/19/89)

In article <116306@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> krempel@netjam.Sun.COM (Henry Krempel)
writes:
>To fix your color screen after some error message has "missed the console"
>use the Unix command:
>
>switcher -n

Right command, wrong option.  Use "switcher -e 0".

--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david@sun.com

bob@hc.DSPO.GOV (Bob Tomlinson) (07/21/89)

> In article <116306@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> krempel@netjam.Sun.COM (Henry Krempel)
> writes:
>>To fix your color screen after some error message has "missed the console"
>>use the Unix command:
>>
>>switcher -n
>
> Right command, wrong option.  Use "switcher -e 0".

"switcher -n" works fine "-e 0" is the default.  Same effect.
You may want to modifiy your repair menu with the following in
your user.ps.

	0 (Repaint All)   {
		PaintRoot
		{/paint self send} AllWin
		(switcher -n) forkunix
	} /changeitem repairmenu send
--
Bob Tomlinson -- bob@hc.dspo.gov  --  (505) 667-8495
Los Alamos National Laboratory  --  MEE-10/Data Systems