[comp.windows.news] X11/NeWS status

conrad@jupiter.ucsc.edu (Al Conrad, x2370) (07/26/89)

I sent the following to interested staff and faculty here at UCSC
and thought I should post it to make sure I was giving the straight
scoop.  Are there any errors in the following:

At Sun/Expo today I got some questions answered regarding Sun's
window systems (the speaker was Warren Titleman).  X11/NeWS is not
SunView quality yet but is better than any of the X ports on
Suns, so they're releasing it.  All of the applications (mail tool,
etc.) running in Open Windows are written for Xview.  The same
binaries run with Xview (on Open Look) or SunView (on SunTools).
The default window system manager for Open Windows is written in
NeWS via NDE.  Another WM written for XView comes with X11/NeWS
(including source) which may eventually be the default WM for Open
Windows.  SunTools will continue to be the default window system
(not Open Windows) through SunOS4.1 (fall qtr 1990).  Open Windows
and X11/NeWS may or may not come bundled with SunOS4.1.

PS - I got the NeWS book while I was there.  Anyone know how to get
the FOB watch shown on plate 5 (part of the NeWS cookbook).

hvr%kimba@Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (07/26/89)

In article <311@darkstar.ucsc.edu> conrad@jupiter.ucsc.edu (Al Conrad, x2370) writes:

>The same
>binaries run with Xview (on Open Look) or SunView (on SunTools).

huh??  What I know to be true is that SunView1 binaries will run on
X11/NeWS using a binary compatability feature.  As a side affect of this
feature, you will see a colormap flash and a keyboard translation as you
move between SV1 and XNeWS.  It`s the same story as NeWS1.1 today.
XView binaries will not run in Sun Windows.  They require an X11 server.
You could write programs so that a compile time flag chose either SV1 or
XView.

Heather