[comp.windows.news] BLowing up Psview

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (09/18/89)

The biggest problem I have with psview, is that the print is just too
small. A full page of text scaled to sit in a substantial frame is just
too small for me to examine carfully at the distance I sit from the
monitor.

Xtroff, an X11 program with a similar goal solves this by making it
easy to display a portion of the page at a larger size, and jockey the
"paper" up and down inside the window.

Its true that in NeWS you can slide the psview window off the bottom of
the screen and resize the visable top of the page. The same trick won't
work on the bottom, and is not very convenient even for the top.

Has anyone thought of hacking psview to solve this problem?
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

mh@awds26.eaton.com (Mike Hoegeman) (09/19/89)

In article <4349@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>The biggest problem I have with psview, is that the print is just too
>small. A full page of text scaled to sit in a substantial frame is just
>too small for me to examine carfully at the distance I sit from the
>monitor.
...etc...
>Its true that in NeWS you can slide the psview window off the bottom of
>the screen and resize the visable top of the page. The same trick won't
>work on the bottom, and is not very convenient even for the top.

I believe there is a version of psview which does this on one on the SEX
tape from the sun user group conference which took place in miami. if
you cannot get a hold of this tape , check out tumtum.umd.edu

-mike

naughton@wind.Sun.COM (Patrick Naughton) (09/19/89)

In article <4349@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
>The biggest problem I have with psview, is that the print is just too
>small. A full page of text scaled to sit in a substantial frame is just
>too small for me to examine carfully at the distance I sit from the
>monitor.
>
>Xtroff, an X11 program with a similar goal solves this by making it
>easy to display a portion of the page at a larger size, and jockey the
>"paper" up and down inside the window.
>
>Has anyone thought of hacking psview to solve this problem?
>--
>Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
>Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP
>Dept of Math and CS | km@emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
>Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7963

PageView, the PostScript previewer shipped with OpenWindows (aka X11/NeWS)
is a total rework of psview which includes this feature as well as many
other enhancements.  We are hard at work on OpenWindows 1.1, so you should
be able to get 1.0 very soon.

-Patrick
    Patrick J. Naughton				    ARPA: naughton@sun.com
    Window Systems Group			    UUCP: ...!sun!naughton
    Sun Microsystems, Inc.			    AT&T: (415) 336 - 1080

ajcd@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Angus Duggan) (09/19/89)

Yes, I've not only thought about it, I've done it. The local version of psview
has scroll bars, enlarge and reduce (by a fixed factor, but multiple
enlargements/reductions are possible), European page sizes specifiable from
the command line (by the -a[0-6] switch), and a hack to allow previewing of
postscript files produced by ArborText's DVILASER/PS (version 4.0.6) dvi
converter. There is also a box facility, which you can use to draw a frame
around any part of the picture, and the dimensions and offset of the frame will
be displayed in inches, centimetres, or PostScript points (1/72 in).
The dvi hack requires an altered prologue for DVILASER/PS, and a
simple program (called psmung) to make the output PostScript closer to
conforming PostScript (however, ArborText has said that the latest version of
DVILASER/PS will produce conforming files).

If there is enough interest, I will post diffs to psview, and the other
required parts for dvi previewing. I am prepared to mail this stuff out to
individuals also, but please be patient, I am very busy just now.

Warning: altering psview was the first time I used LiteItems, or tried to do
anything much with overlay canvases, so the code is probably pretty grotty. I
had one problem with overlay canvases, which was that I couldn't reshape them,
and had to create a new one each time they needed reshaping. Is this a known
problem, or am I just doing it wrong?

	Angus
Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| (C) AJCD 1989
University of Edinburgh, JCMB,			| USENET: ajcd@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
The King's Buildings, Mayfield Road,		| JANET:  ajcd@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, Scotland.	| OR:  ajcd%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk