[comp.windows.news] NSE?

ralph@DEDEKIND.MATH.HAWAII.EDU (Ralph Freese) (10/06/89)

	The Sun Technology magizine said that there would be a
special toolkit for PostScript programers. What is the status of that?

salzman%iris@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) (10/08/89)

>The Sun Technology magizine said that there would be a
>special toolkit for PostScript programers. What is the status of that?

well, first off i think you mean NDE: "NeWS Development Environment".  NSE
is "Network Software Environment" and is a CASE (computer aided software
engineering) tool which is used for doing configuration management and CASE
applications integration, etc. (a very poor description, but it'll have to
do).

NDE was actually renamed to the NeWS Toolkit and it is being destributed
with OpenWindows (aka X11/NeWS). it is the standard interface for developing
NeWS applications under X11/NeWS. it's a big step up from the liteui (or
whatever it was called) stuff and it implements the OPEN LOOK UI. it's a
postscript development environment as the liteui stuff was....

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (10/09/89)

In article <8910060232.AA16560@iris.rand.org> salzman%iris@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) writes:
>NDE was actually renamed to the NeWS Toolkit and it is being destributed
>with OpenWindows (aka X11/NeWS). it is the standard interface for developing
>NeWS applications under X11/NeWS. it's a big step up from the liteui (or
>whatever it was called) stuff and it implements the OPEN LOOK UI. it's a
>postscript development environment as the liteui stuff was....

It was my understanding that NDE was not part of OpenWindows and that
it was not ready yet. If that has changed, it sure sounds good.

I would be happy to hear of experiences with NDE/NeWS Toolkit. What
features does it have? How does it relate to liteui? How much work to
upgrade my liteui applications to work with NDE (hey, why did the name
change? NDE is sure easier to type, and NT could be anything :-). Are
there any interactive tools?

/Lars
--
Copyright 1989 Lars Fischer; you can redistribute only if your recipients can.
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk, {...}!mcvax!iesd!fischer

"That makes 100 errors; please try again" --TeX