[comp.windows.news] docs on tNt

hvr%kimba@Sun.COM (Heather Rose) (10/11/89)

In article <FISCHER.89Oct8221436@dirac.iesd.auc.dk> fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:
>In article <8910060232.AA16560@iris.rand.org> salzman%iris@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) writes:
>>NDE was actually renamed to the NeWS Toolkit and it is being destributed
>>with OpenWindows (aka X11/NeWS). it is the standard interface for developing
>>NeWS applications under X11/NeWS. it's a big step up from the liteui (or
>>whatever it was called) stuff and it implements the OPEN LOOK UI. it's a
>>postscript development environment as the liteui stuff was....
>
>It was my understanding that NDE was not part of OpenWindows and that
>it was not ready yet. If that has changed, it sure sounds good.

Perhaps this will clear things up a bit...

from the OpenWindows 1.0 pre-FCS RTF section 6: The NeWS Toolkit

#BEGIN

This release of Open Windows includes a "preliminary" version of new
toolkit for NeWS programmers, a flexible class-based system called
"The NeWS Toolkit (tNt)".

This toolkit is still in development, and Sun cannot provide any support
for the current version.  Neither your Answer Center nor the technical
support engineers are equipped to provide assistance with this software.

It is included in this release of Open Windows for two reasons:

	* The default X11/NeWS window manager, pswm(1), uses it.
	  (This window manager is fully supported, and bugs found in it
	   which are traced to tNt will be fixed.)
	* We would like to encourage feedback from those adventurous
	  NeWS programmers who would like to get an early look at our
	  replacement for the Lite toolkit.

Receiving Documentation:

The Open Windows documentation does not include any information about
the NeWS Toolkit.  People interested in experimenting with this prelimary
version can receive documentation in two ways:

	* By sending electronic mail to:

		tnt-request@sun.com

	* Or, by sending US mail to:

		The NeWS Toolkit Manager
		Sun Microsystems Inc.
		2550 Garcia Ave.
		Mountain View, CA  94043
		Mail Stop 14-40
		U.S.A.

The NeWS archive server contains tutorial documentation and demonstration
code for this toolkit.  You can contact this server by sending a mail item
with subject "help" or "index" to:

	news-archive@sun.com

To program in tNt you will also need to refer to the NeWS 2.0 Programmer's
Guide which is included in this OpenWindows documentation.

Where Is It?

The PostScript-based components of tNt can be found in the
$OPENWINHOME/etc/NeWS/NDE.  A library archive of the C-based portion,
called the "Wire Service", lives in $OPENWINHOME/lib/libwire.a.  Both
portions are described in the documentation.

Support and Feedback:

Sun cannot offer any support at all for this preliminary version of the
toolkit.  However, we welcome design and interface suggestions and bug
reports.  These can be mailed to:

	tnt-feedback@sun.com.

Please do not report bugs related to Open Look compliance.  tNt is still
some distance from being and Open Look-compliant toolkit.

How Stable is it?

Note well:  The NeWS Toolkit is not yet a Sun product, and interfaces will
continue to change until that time.

The preface to the preliminary tNt reference manual lists those components
that are unlikely to change significantly in the future.

#END

I sent email to the tnt-request alias, here is what I got back:

#BEGIN

>From tnt-request@sun.com Tue Oct 10 18:23:11 1989
To: hvr@sun
Subject: tNt Request for Documentation

Your request for NeWS Toolkit documentation has been received.  Please
allow 4 to 6 weeks for this material to arrive at your address.

Other tutorial documentation and demonstration code is available on the NeWS
archive server.  You can contact this server by sending a mail item with
subject help or index to news-archive@sun.com.  If you would like to
provide comments or feedback please address your email to tnt-feedback@sun.com.

Please remember this is an experimental version of the toolkit.  Sun cannot
provide any support for the current version.  Neither your Answer Center nor
the technical support engineers are equipped to provide assistance with this
software.  Sun Microsystems makes no commitment to deliver the NeWS Toolkit
as a product in the future.

Thank you for you interest in the NeWS Toolkit.

The NeWS Toolkit Manager.

#END