[comp.windows.news] More than one NeWS

krempel@appserv.Sun.COM (Henry Krempel) (10/18/89)

> From: frank5@mars.njit.edu (Frank D. Greco CIS Adj. Prof.)
> Newsgroups: comp.windows.news
> Subject: NeWS Pgming Environment?
> Date: 5 Oct 89 16:54:06 GMT

> So, is it possible to run NeWS in a window (ie, recursively)?
> That way I can debug my NeWS programs in a reasonably safe manner
> (ie, go to anothe> r window and kill the second NeWS server).
> I saw the LaserTalk PostScript Environment product (by Emerald City
> Software...I think) advertised for the NeXT box (and the Mac), maybe someone
> out there in netland knows of a similar environment for NeWS?

You can run more than one window system, if you have multiple
framebuffers, or a cgfour that you would like to use as more than one
framebuffer.  The complete instructions are in the xnews(1) man page.

With this method,  you can run one Sunview and one X11/NeWS,  or 2 X11/NeWS's.

Henry B. J. Krempel	<krempel@sun.com>
Sun Microsystems MS 16-08
2550 Garcia Avenue
Mountain View, California 94043

montnaro@sprite.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) (10/19/89)

In article <126485@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> krempel@appserv.Sun.COM (Henry Krempel) writes:

   > From: frank5@mars.njit.edu (Frank D. Greco CIS Adj. Prof.)
   > So, is it possible to run NeWS in a window (ie, recursively)?

   You can run more than one window system, if you have multiple
   framebuffers, or a cgfour that you would like to use as more than one
   framebuffer.  The complete instructions are in the xnews(1) man page.

Under NeWS 1.1 I thought you could partition the physical display and only
use part of it as the "screen" for NeWS. Does this capability still exist in
X/NeWS? If so, you might be able to get away with splitting the screen into
two (or more) pseudo-displays. If one hosed, you might be able to traipse
(sp?) on back to the other to kill the hoser.

--
Skip Montanaro (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)