[comp.windows.news] The NeWS book ??

eho@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Eric Ho) (10/10/89)

Has anyone seen Jim Gosling et al's "The NeWS book" yet ?

I just wonder what you guys think of it (if you've it already) in comparison
with whatever manuals came from Sun.

--

Eric Ho
Princeton University

Andre_Louis_Marquis@cup.portal.com (10/14/89)

If you've been following the development of NeWS and have read the Sun document
ation, I
don't think you'll get much out of the book.  It has a chapter on window syste
history and a chapter on porting NeWS.  That's about all there is that's extra
You'll even recognize many of the screens.

Here is a quote from the preface:
"This book is an introduction to NeWS: the Networked, Extensible,
Window System from Sun Microsystems.  It is oriented towards people
who have a basic knowledge of programming and window systems who
would like to understand more about windowing systems in general and NeWS
in particular.  A significant portion of the book is devoted to an overview
and history of window sytems.  While there is enough detail here to allow
readers to write simple NeWS applications, the NeWS Reference Manual
[SUN87a] should be consulted for a more complete treatment."

Novices and the less experienced should find the book illuminating.

Andre Marquis

doug@zodiac.ADS.COM (Doug Morgan) (10/17/89)

I got the book a few weeks ago and found it very useful as a good,
broad, quick intro to NeWS.  At the time, it was at a perfect level
for me, not having read the NeWS manual or the Red Book.  If I were
now to go on to be a NeWS hacker, the book wouldn't be of much value
since since it doesn't cover necessary reference material found in the
manuals (and the NeWS distributed sources).  But then supplying
reference material was not the book's goal.  It was to introduce
someone to NeWS.

The book discusses many of the design issues that people here have
struggled with in making a CommonLisp/CLOS window toolkit on NeWS.
The efficiency considerations in using NeWS seem to be pretty simple,
but might discover them for yourself only after code has been written.
Reading them in a book is definitely better.

I have two minor criticisms.  Small wonder, but the book is very
positive about NeWS and doesn't talk much about it's drawbacks.  The
one that strikes us hardest is NeWS's inability to support any high
performance frame buffer hardware (even a color lookup table) or to
quickly acquire image data.  Also, the proofer must have fallen asleep
during Chapter 4.  There are several typesetting errors, several
strange phrases, a figure that does not match the text, and even a
PostScript feature (transfer) documented without even mentioning that
NeWS 1.1 doesn't implement it.

Doug Morgan
Advanced Decision Systems
doug@ads.com

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (10/19/89)

In article <DOUG.89Oct16103633@zodiac.ADS.COM>, doug@zodiac (Doug Morgan) writes:
>The
>one that strikes us hardest is NeWS's inability to support any high
>performance frame buffer hardware (even a color lookup table) or to
>quickly acquire image data.

Well, to be fair, the book did mention X/NeWS, and stated that X/NeWS
deserves it's own book.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crd.ge.com>   uunet!crdgw1!barnett