[comp.windows.news] NeWS software collection

don@CS.UMD.EDU (Don Hopkins) (11/06/89)

This is the table of contents of the NeWS software collection I've put
together, which is available via anonymous ftp from "tumtum.cs.umd.edu"
(128.8.128.49), in the files "NeWS/news-tape.tar.Z" and
"NeWS/GoodNeWS1.2.DEV.tar.Z". Don't forget to set binary mode to retrieve
them! The file "sums" lists the checksums of the files you can ftp. This
collection of software will be made available on the Sun User Group
contributed software tape.  Enclosed at the end is a SUG contribution form.
If you have any software that you would like to donate, or if some of your
software is already in the collection, but you have not sent in a form, we
would *greatly* appreciate it if you printed out a copy of the form, filled
it out, and mailed it in.  Also, it makes things a lot easier for everyone if
you put a copyright notice on your software stating that it can be
redistributed. Thanks a *zillion* to everyone who contributed!!

If you have an old preliminary copy of the news-tape directory, you should
probably get a fresh one. Lots of nice stuff has been added, and the
organizaton has changed (everything has its own directory now, and the names
make more sense). If you're making an old copy of the collection available
via ftp or whatever, please get the updated version, and thanks!!

The news-tape directory is almost 10 meg, without binaries. It includes
makefiles so you can compile and clean it all at once.  GoodNeWS is about 7.5
meg. If you're looking for some good examples of how to program NeWS, they're
in there!

	-Don

Properties:

	Covered by a contribution form
	Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
	Posted to comp.windows.x
	Contributed by author
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Standard Sun NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
	Based on sources included with X11/NeWS
	Based on sources included with X11R3
	Made at Sun

~applications~
    ~applications/calctool~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~applications/ched~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Standard Sun NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Made at Sun
    ~applications/dviview~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
    ~applications/faces~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~applications/gnu-emacs~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~applications/gnuplot~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
    ~applications/micro-emacs~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
    ~applications/news-illustrator~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~applications/newsdraw~
	Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Made at Sun
    ~applications/newsline~
	Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Made at Sun
    ~applications/paint~
	Contributed by author
    ~applications/paintdemo~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~applications/paper~
	Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
    ~applications/psterm~
	Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
    ~applications/surfmodl~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
    ~applications/tree~
	Posted to comp.windows.news

~documents~
    ~documents/apptalk~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Made at Sun
    ~documents/info~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~documents/newsdraw~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~documents/oop~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~documents/pguide~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~documents/programming~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Made at Sun
    ~documents/psiber~
	Covered by a contribution form
    ~documents/refcards~
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~documents/toolkit~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~documents/tour~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun

~examples~
    ~examples/codebook~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~examples/debug~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~examples/fontscale~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~examples/func~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
    ~examples/hello-world~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
    ~examples/input~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~examples/paint2~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~examples/startup~
	~fixedstartup.ps~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~hello.ps~
	    Covered by a contribution form
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~initial.ps~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~setup.ps~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~examples/string~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
    ~examples/token~
	Posted to comp.windows.news

~fixes~
    ~fixes/framemaker~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fixes/getanimated~
	Covered by a contribution form
    ~fixes/goodnews~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fixes/illustrator88~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fixes/xnews~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Based on sources included with X11/NeWS

~fonts~
    Based on sources included with X11R3

~fun~
    ~fun/15puzzle~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Made at Sun
    ~fun/3demo~
	Covered by a contribution form
    ~fun/backgrounds~
	~NeWS_root.ps~
	    Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	    Available from news-archive@sun.com
	~background-menu.ps~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~background.ps~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~granite~
	    Contributed by author
	    Made at Sun
	~graysize.ps~
	    Covered by a contribution form
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~yinyang.ps~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/bez~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/blackjack~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/boing~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/breakout~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~fun/catchme~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/curves~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~fun/dipper~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/display-face~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/dizzy~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
    ~fun/eye~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/flower-editor~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/garden~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/ifs~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/interpolate~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/jump~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/kanji~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/lander~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~fun/mandel~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~fun/melt~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/mistletoe~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Made at Sun
    ~fun/psgammon~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
    ~fun/pspyro~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/ptape~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/puzzle~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/pyramid~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/quine~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/ribbon~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Made at Sun
    ~fun/rose~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Made at Sun
    ~fun/runit~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/spiro-slider~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
    ~fun/spirograph~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/square-limit~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/strange~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/testcurve~
	Covered by a contribution form
    ~fun/track~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/visualizer~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/wallpaper~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/wrappingpaper~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/wtf~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/zapper~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~fun/zoom~
	Covered by a contribution form

~goodnews~
    Covered by a contribution form
    Copyright notice states it can be redistributed

~pictures~
    ~brillig.ps~
	Contributed by author
    ~collage.can~
	Contributed by author
    ~flake.ps~
	Contributed by author
    ~gnu.ps~
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
    ~honk.ps~
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
    ~leaf.ps~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Contributed by author
    ~nerd.ps~
	Contributed by author
    ~porsche.can~
	Contributed by author
    ~punk.can~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Contributed by author
    ~sun-logo1.ps~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~sun-logo2.ps~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~teeshirt.ps~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
    ~xlogo.ps~
	Posted to comp.windows.x
    ~yoyo.ps~
	Contributed by author

~utilities~
    ~utilities/animator~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
    ~utilities/autopull~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/beeper~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/bgcolor~
	Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
    ~utilities/bigcur~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/blankscreen~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/btol~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/calendar~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
    ~utilities/circularities~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/class-browser~
	Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/clocks~
	~aniclock~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~dali~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	    Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
	~digital-clock~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~glass~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	    Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
	~goodclock~
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~nclock~
	    Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~sunclock~
	    Good Grasshopper NeWS 1.1 copyright
	    Available from news-archive@sun.com
	    Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
	~technichron~
	    Contributed by author
	    Made at Sun
    ~utilities/colormenu~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/colors~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/colortable~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Made at Sun
    ~utilities/colortool~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
    ~utilities/colour~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/cyber~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
    ~utilities/distillery~
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
    ~utilities/dragcanvas~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/drawer~
	Contributed by author
	Made at Sun
    ~utilities/dumb~
	Contributed by author
    ~utilities/dumper~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/duper~
	Contributed by author
    ~utilities/enhanced~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/exporttonews~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/graph~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/gravity~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/icongravity~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/icons~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/invertmatrix~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/journalpanel~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Made at Sun
    ~utilities/keypad~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/keysee~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/knobs~
	Contributed by author
    ~utilities/litedialog~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/logo~
	Contributed by author
    ~utilities/lps~
	Covered by a contribution form
    ~utilities/mac~
	Contributed by author
    ~utilities/mag~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/mail-popup~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/mail-sender~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/mchoose~
	Covered by a contribution form
    ~utilities/mousee~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/mult~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/netsecurity~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
    ~utilities/newsbiff~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/newsbomb~
	Contributed by author
    ~utilities/newsmon~
	Contributed by author
	Standard Sun NeWS 1.1 copyright
    ~utilities/object-browser~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/pacman~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/patternfill~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/piemenus~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/plane~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/popup~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/print-hier~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/prompt~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/ps2bits~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Made at Sun
    ~utilities/ps3d~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
    ~utilities/psbiff~
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
    ~utilities/psexec~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Standard Sun NeWS 1.1 copyright
	Based on sources included with NeWS 1.1
    ~utilities/psgraph~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
	Made at Sun
    ~utilities/pshexec~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/pspp~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/rpsterm~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/ruler~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/save-proc~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/scrollclient~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/scrolldata~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/scrollwin~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/softmenu~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/sorts~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
    ~utilities/stickem~
	Contributed by author
    ~utilities/term~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
    ~utilities/textfield~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/tooltool~
	Available from news-archive@sun.com
    ~utilities/trackstack~
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/vectorops~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.lang.postscript
    ~utilities/winwin~
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/xfonts~
	Covered by a contribution form
	Copyright notice states it can be redistributed
	Posted to comp.windows.news
    ~utilities/zap~
	~deadwin.ps~
	    Covered by a contribution form
	    Posted to comp.windows.news
	~unmap~
	    Contributed by author
	~winzap~
	    Contributed by author

Subject: Sun User Group contribution form

We are putting together a collection of NeWS software to contribute to
the Sun Users Group donated software tape. We would like to use your
software on upcoming tape(s).  To do this, we have to get a signed
release from you that authorizes us to have the software and to
reproduce and distribute it.  We apologize for the trouble involved;
we've tried to make this as painless as possible, within the
limitations of the current legal system.

We have enclosed a copy of the software contribution form, which you
can print out, fill in, sign, and mail to us.  A mailing "label" is
also enclosed.  Don't send it back to us by email; we need your real
hardcopy signature.

Our lawyers advise us that if you developed these materials in
connection with your job, or as an independent contractor working on a
job, the materials may be owned by your employer or client.  If this is
the case, or if you are not sure, either clarify the situation or
duplicate the contribution form and have your employer or client fill
out a copy too.  We can't distribute software if we don't know who the
owner is, unless all the possible owners authorize us.

By the way, "owner" is roughly equivalent to "copyright holder" here.

If you developed the materials with other people, please get your
co-authors to sign release forms as well, unless you are authorized
to act for the group.  If your work is based upon the work of others,
please indicate how we can get in touch with them.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact Don
Hopkins at ...!uunet!mimsy!don, don@brillig.umd.edu, or (301)
454-1517, or the Sun Users Group office at ...!sun!users,
users@sun.com, or (415) 336-4343.

Thanks for your patience with this BS.  See you on the tape!

	Don Hopkins
	...!uunet!mimsy!don  or  don@brillig.umd.edu

	the Sun Microsystems User Group tape committee
	...!sun!users  or  users@sun.com

Here is my "mailing label":

	Don Hopkins
	5819 Ruatan St.
	College Park, MD 20740

			Sun Microsystems User Group, Inc.
			  CONTRIBUTION TO SOFTWARE TAPE

Please include these materials in a Sun User Group donated software
tape.  I hereby agree to these conditions:

1.  The materials continue to be owned by their current owner(s).  I give
    Sun Microsystems User Group (SUG) irrevocable permission to use them and
    to redistribute them for a fee to its membership and to the public.

2.  SUG will require recipients of the tape to agree to follow the conditions
    imposed in README files in the materials, if any.

3.  If the materials are covered by an AT&T Unix source license, I
    also give SUG permission to compile the materials and to distribute
    them in binary form to AT&T binary licensees.

4.  I authorize SUG to distribute the information on this form
    describing the contents of the tape.  My name and address(es) will
    only be distributed if I so request by checking the item below.

5.  SUG's duplication and distribution of the materials will not infringe
    any copyright, patent, trade secret, or similar right of any third party.

6.  I agree to promptly reimburse SUG for all damages or loss incurred
    by SUG due to any statement made by me in this form that proves to
    be false or incorrect.

The materials covered by this contribution form are:

Rough size of the materials (KB or MB):  ___________________________

To the best of my knowledge, the materials are owned by:
(also tell us how we can contact the owner(s), if it's not you)

Please indicate the trade secret status of the materials:

	______	The materials contain no Unix software or documentation.

	______	The materials require a Unix source license.

		Which one(s):  ________________________________

	______	Other (please explain)
I can authorize you to redistribute the materials because:

	______	The materials are public domain.

	______	I am the owner.

	______	I work for the owner and am authorized by its management.

		Authorized signature:	________________________________

		Company:		________________________________

		Title:			________________________________

	______	I am a co-owner and can act for all the owners.

	______	I am a co-owner and you also need permission from the other
		owners.
	______	I may be the owner; in case I am, I authorize you.

	______	The materials are copyrighted, but redistribution is
		permitted by the owner.
	______	Other (please explain)

Would you like to be identified as the donor of these materials?

	______	Yes, please put my name and contact info on the tape.

	______	No, please just put the materials on the tape.

Can the people who receive the materials from us redistribute them?

	______	Yes, anyone can redistribute these materials.

	______	No, nobody can redistribute these materials.

	______	Redistribution conditions are specified in the materials.

		Signature    _______________________________________

		Date         _______________________________________

		Name         _______________________________________

		Organization _______________________________________

		Address      _______________________________________

			     _______________________________________

			     _______________________________________

		Phone	     _______________________________________

		Email	     _______________________________________

jef@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Jef Poskanzer) (11/07/89)

Thanks, Don, that's great stuff.  Except:

}    ~yoyo.ps~
}	Contributed by author

No, it wasn't.  This file is not for distribution.  Don, please remove
it from your tar file.  Everyone who has retrieved the tar file already,
please remove it from your directory tree.
---
Jef

      Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
                 "History tends to exaggerate." -- Col. Green