[comp.windows.news] NeWS on a CG8-9

laukee@canon.UUCP (David Lau-Kee) (12/11/89)

Sun X11/NeWS doesn't run on a CG8 or CG9 24-bit framebuffer. (Not that the
X side could do much with 24-bits anyway!)  Does anyone know of a version of
NeWS which will support this hardware?  Apparently Sun "currently have no
plans" to support CG8-9 in XNeWS... is anyone else considering a port?

-------------
David Lau-Kee
Canon Research Centre Europe,
19/20 Frederick Sanger Rd, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU25YD, UK.
NRS: laukee@uk.co.canon, ARPA: laukee%canon@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
UUCP: laukee@canon.uucp, PATH: ..!mcsun!ukc!uos-ee!canon!laukee
Tel: +44 (0) 483 574325 Fax: +44 (0) 483 574360

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (12/11/89)

    Not that the X side could do much with 24-bits anyway!

What kind of garbage is this?  The X protocol supports up to 32 bits per
pixel.  There are several vendors shipping X on deep framebuffers.

hugh@hoptoad.uucp (Hugh Daniel) (12/12/89)

  How many folks are in need of XNeWS running on CG8's and CG9's?

                ||ugh Daniel
hugh@toad.com                   Grasshopper  Group,  +1 415/668-5998
hugh@xanadu.com			210 Clayton ST San Francisco CA94117

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (12/16/89)

    Is it possible that the NeWS side of XNeWS could would run in 24bits pretty
    much as-is, whereas the X side would require a little bit more work, or is it
    the case that the port would be as difficult for both sides (or is there
    effectively only one thing to port)?

I don't really know how X11/NeWS is implemented internally.  I thought both
halves were built on top of a common graphic library, in which the X side
wouldn't take much additional work.

laukee@canon.UUCP (12/16/89)

>>    Not that the X side could do much with 24-bits anyway!
>
>What kind of garbage is this?  The X protocol supports up to 32 bits per
>pixel.  There are several vendors shipping X on deep framebuffers.

Woah, sore spot there?  Let me be precise: for "X side" substitute "X side of
merged server as implemented in Sun OpenWindows 1.0"
I'm talking about XNeWS here. Are Sun shipping XNeWS for deep framebuffers??
I think not, (but maybe that's garbage too :^]).
Is it possible that the NeWS side of XNeWS could would run in 24bits pretty
much as-is, whereas the X side would require a little bit more work, or is it
the case that the port would be as difficult for both sides (or is there
effectively only one thing to port)?  Information from a contact at Sun
indicated that the NeWS side would be easy compared with the X side.  Maybe
you know different!

	-- David Lau-Kee

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (12/17/89)

X runs just fine on deep frame buffers.  My company, among others,
has been shipping X servers running on deep frame buffers for a long
time (way over a year, in the case of the VS8000).

If the X11/NeWS server won't run on deep frame buffers, that's
its fault, not X or the X protocol.

Jim Gettys
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory

robin@SUN.COM (Robin Schaufler) (12/20/89)

From NeWS-makers-request@cs.UMD.EDU Sat Dec 16 05:31:35 1989
To: NeWS-makers@brillig.umd.edu
Subject: Re: NeWS on a CG8-9
From: rws@expo.lcs.mit.edu (Bob Scheifler)
Sender: NeWS-makers-request@brillig.umd.edu (Don Hopkins)

    Is it possible that the NeWS side of XNeWS could would run in
    24bits pretty
    much as-is, whereas the X side would require a little bit more
    work, or is
    it the case that the port would be as difficult for both sides (or
    is there
    effectively only one thing to port)?

> I don't really know how X11/NeWS is implemented internally.  I
thought both
> halves were built on top of a common graphic library, in which the X
side
> wouldn't take much additional work.

Yes, Bob is correct.  You get 2 ports for the effort of one.

However, since we didn't have any 24 bit hardware while xnews 1.0 was
being
developed, we don't know whether the X-specific server code is
correct.
						-- Robin