[comp.windows.news] Life for old SUN3/50s as X-terminals?

reggie@dinsdale.nm.paradyne.com (George W. Leach) (02/02/90)

In article <10923@etana.tut.fi> pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
>From article <7731@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, by rac1@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (robert.a.clark):
>> Has anyone tried converting a SUN3/50 from a UNIX workstation into a
>> X-terminal? I think that it is feasible, but would take some work. We

>	We have thought that also, but lack of information about
>	innards of workstation causes some problems.

        At the Summer USENIX Conference in Baltimore this past June,
John Gilmore of the Grasshopper Group indicated that they were working
on a minimal kernal for the Sun 3/50 in order for it to be used as a
NeWS server/terminal.  This was at the NeWS (or was it X11/NeWS?) BOF.
I forget the details.  If they were going to support the X11/NeWS mergered
server, then this will help you.

>	Also nobody around here seems to be interested to finance
>	such projects.

        Sun was funding the work by Grasshopper.  Perhaps John or one of
the other Grasshopper Group folks would like to comment upon this?

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
(uunet|att)!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL 34649-2826 USA