[comp.windows.news] NeWS for the Amiga

maurie@jtsv16.UUCP (Maurie Danko) (02/02/90)

Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of NeWS (windowing system) for the Amiga?
Then please do.
Maurie Danko JTS Computer Systems Ltd .|
Toronto, Canada 1 (416) 665-8910       | Remember:
email: maurie@jtsv16.jts.com           |   If 2 people agree on everything
OR  {suncan|geac|uunet}!jtsv16!maurie  |   Then 1 of them is REDUNDANT.

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (02/06/90)

maurie@jtsv16.UUCP (Maurie Danko) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of NeWS (windowing system) for the Amiga?
>Then please do.

Well, my suggestion would be to phone Sun and ask if anyone has ported
it to the Amiga.

If not, buy a source licence and port it ... we'd all be very happy!
:-) :-)

--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (02/08/90)

In article <1290@jtsv16.UUCP> maurie@jtsv16.UUCP (Maurie Danko) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to get a copy of NeWS (windowing system) for the Amiga?
>Then please do.
>Maurie Danko JTS Computer Systems Ltd .|

Ameristar Technology did a port of one of the early (pre-1.0) versions
of the NeWS windowing system.  The system was never released as a product.
People wanting a network windowing system on the Amiga should check out
the X11 offering by GfxBase.

					Rick Spanbauer
					Ameristar Technology

phil@SCRIPPS.EDU (Phil Cohen) (02/09/90)

A company named Ameristar has ported NeWS to the Amiga.
I saw it at SIGGRAPH two years ago.  The performance was
quite disapointing and they would not sell me a copy.
A bunch of SUN people were in the booth and were quite happy
about the port to such a cost effective platform.

They were in a corner of the Commodore booth, so if you want
more information, perhaps Commodore can put you in touch with
Ameristar.

Phil Cohen
Research Institute of Scripps Clinic

deke@ee.rochester.edu (Dikran Kassabian) (02/15/90)

First, an apology in advance.  I know that this discussion just happened.
I saw it and ignored it.  Now, all of a sudden, I care about it.  Sorry
about that.

One of our faculty members, who is very much involved in using and enhancing
the NeWS environment, has an Amiga at home.  He'd like to run NeWS there.
Does an out-of-the-box port exist?  Can you provide me with references and
phone numbers?  How much physical memory is required?  What else do I need
to know?

Any assistance appreciated.  Please respond via email.

Thanks,

      ^Deke Kassabian,   deke@ee.rochester.edu   or   ur-valhalla!deke
   Univ of Rochester, Dept of EE, Rochester, NY 14627     (+1 716-275-3106)